DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   What's a good 7D setting for those who don't want to color grade? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/475902-whats-good-7d-setting-those-who-dont-want-color-grade.html)

Paul Cascio March 30th, 2010 03:54 PM

What's a good 7D setting for those who don't want to color grade?

I've seen lots of posts regarding low saturation and low dynamic range setting to allow room in post, but can someone suggest recommended settings for someone who doesn't want to color grade. I'm looking for settings that will either match well with an EX1, or just some good all-around settings to produce quality video. Thanks.

Floris de Rijke March 30th, 2010 05:09 PM

This is a very arbitrary question since the look you're looking for is a matter of taste and might change from project to project. Matching it with your EX1 depends on the settings on your EX1. I'm a 7D and EX1 owner myself and I have settings on both to shoot as flat as possible so I have maximum headroom in post to go the way I want to.

In my opinion it boils down to the fact that the end product will probably be best if you invest time in it, so on location I want to focus on shooting great material and in post I will spend time on making it look the best it can.

Jon Braeley March 30th, 2010 05:20 PM

If you are using any of the cine gamma pp's (which you probably are) then you should be grading your footage from the Ex1 anyway. I use a 7D and Ex3 but I always grade with both Color (Final Cut Studio) and sometimes Magic Bullit.

I doubt you will match the 7D to your Ex1 in the camera. Compared to the 7D my Ex3 is flat yet I have sharpness, contrast and saturation dialed way down on the 7D.

What is the reason not to grade in post? No time?

Jeremy Pevar March 30th, 2010 06:03 PM

7D Color Settings

I am quite new to shooting with the 7D, but am very happy with the results that the following settings produce:

First turn on "Highlight Tone Priority" - this will monkey with the low end of the ASA/ISO range (can't set below 200)

Second, go into the Picture Styles Menu and select any one of the three User Definable Picture Styles.

Thirdly, dial the contrast all the way down, dial the sharpness all the way down, dial the saturation down two ticks.

These settings, and careful attention to proper white balance and exposure settings will yield results that are incredibly film like. I cannot take credit for this combination of settings. According the a post I found on this forum, Phillip Bloom uses these settings.

Happy shootings!

Dan Carter March 30th, 2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1507707)
I've seen lots of posts regarding low saturation and low dynamic range setting to allow room in post, but can someone suggest recommended settings for someone who doesn't want to color grade. I'm looking for settings that will either match well with an EX1, or just some good all-around settings to produce quality video. Thanks.

I too prefer to let the camera do most of the color grade work. For landscape I've had good luck with a user defined Picture Style based on the Landscape Picture Style. With the exceptions of increasing Contrast +1 and Saturation +2 or 3, I leave other settings at default. The possibilities are endless.

Good luck..

Manus Sweeney March 31st, 2010 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Pevar (Post 1507760)
I am quite new to shooting with the 7D, but am very happy with the results that the following settings produce:

First turn on "Highlight Tone Priority" - this will monkey with the low end of the ASA/ISO range (can't set below 200)

Second, go into the Picture Styles Menu and select any one of the three User Definable Picture Styles.

Thirdly, dial the contrast all the way down, dial the sharpness all the way down, dial the saturation down two ticks.

These settings, and careful attention to proper white balance and exposure settings will yield results that are incredibly film like. I cannot take credit for this combination of settings. According the a post I found on this forum, Phillip Bloom uses these settings.

Happy shootings!

The benefit of these settings I feel is more to give you the look of something close to film or a red before colour grading though! It might look good out of the camera but generally it will look better (once youre happy with the overall RGB balance) to raise the contrast, sometimes saturation and add a little sharpness again if you feel it needs it.

Norman Pogson March 31st, 2010 06:49 AM

I use picture styles quite effectively for stock footage, I'm producing quite high volume clips and everything I can do in camera helps.

Canon just released some more Canon : Picture Style

Philipp Sokolean April 2nd, 2010 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Pevar (Post 1507760)

Do you mean the option "Highlight Alert" or "AF pint disp."? I can't find "Highlight Tone Priority" on my 7D...

Liam Hall April 2nd, 2010 04:39 AM

It's in Custom Menu II/3.

FWIW I leave mine off.

Norman Pogson April 2nd, 2010 10:35 AM

Me too I want to shoot at 100 iso.

Wayne Avanson April 3rd, 2010 09:56 AM

I use that 'Bloom recommended' picture style except I prefer things a bit sharper than he does so I leave the sharpness setting where it is.

I also ignore the highlight tone priority as I like to shoot at 160 sometimes.

Corey Benoit April 3rd, 2010 06:52 PM

whats the difference between 100 and 160 other than a tab bit more light?

Sam Matthews April 4th, 2010 03:38 PM

ISO question

Corey,
just to clarify are you asking about ISO settings in general, or just whether or not the difference in grain is noticeable at 160 given the 7d's so called "sweet spots" (160,320,640)?
I just don't want to write a big long patronising answer about ISO and how it affects your image if you already know! But Im happy to clarify if you don't
cheers,
Sam

Corey Benoit April 4th, 2010 04:15 PM

so 160-320,640 are the sweet spots? i am not sure what iso's are the best...when i am in good lighting i shoot 100, and when the lighting is bad i shoot 1600-3200 but there is a good amount of grain...

Sam Matthews April 6th, 2010 01:28 AM

wow that's quite high even for low light! I cringe whenever I go past 1000 but have been known to do it in places like a dark bar where we only have minimal available light. Do you have a fast prime like the 50mm f1.8 to get some light in there? otherwise you're always going to be pretty grainy with iso settings that high. Also what shutter speed do you use in those cases?