Camera Settings for Fast Motion Dolly Shot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 30th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #1
New Boot

Camera Settings for Fast Motion Dolly Shot?

I have a short that requires a dolly shot that will be sped up quite a bit. I'm not sure how best to accomplish this. I know it can be done in post by simply speeding it up, but I wonder if I should shoot in something other than 24p like the rest of the footage, then conform later? It's a long dolly that will be about 200 yards (probably being pushed in a shopping cart or something LOL) but it will only run about 2-3 seconds in the final. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Sheldon D. Charron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Consider a timelapse. You would need a remote timer. You will probably want an ND filter so the shutter can be really slow. You probably want deep focus, so you can run a small aperture, say f/11 to f/18.

For more information do a search on time lapse.

The quality will be excellent. You can shoot in RAW, if you'd like. There will be no rolling shutter or aliasing to worry about, and you can get 4K resolution.
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Is it a straight line move with a lock down camera? (camera stays panned in one position, view changes in a linear, horizontal move).

...or does the camera track some object in the shot as the camera is moving, making some possible camera orientation changes necessary along the way?

Can you use a small car/pickup instead of a shopping cart? ...or even a wheelchair? What's the surface like?

Is the subject matter moving and "unmanageable?" (as in: city street with traffic and people whom you are not paying who are doing whatever they want?)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD