DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Planning a trip to Nicaragua for 10 days with the T2i....what do I need? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/475913-planning-trip-nicaragua-10-days-t2i-what-do-i-need.html)

Bryan McCullough March 30th, 2010 07:55 PM

Planning a trip to Nicaragua for 10 days with the T2i....what do I need?

Hopefully you guys can help me brainstorm a bit on the right gear to take. I'm going to go for 10 days and shoot a few different stories for some groups doing humanitarian work down there.

Going to go exclusively with the T2i and hope it all works out. :D

I've got plenty of basic video gear but want to start thinking about how to take only minimal gear. We will be out all day and able to charge at night.

So while we're out I'll basically need to be able to keep everything I need with me in a backpack. Some items (like larger lights) could be kept locked in the vehicle but there's no guarantee I could get back to it for a particular shoot. For this reason I'm thinking an LED panel would be good.

Things like that. I've never shot in an isolated area like this (for an actual job) so want to think through it as much as possible.

Any thoughts would be great!

Khoi Pham March 30th, 2010 08:32 PM

I'm sure you got all the basic cover, but I'm thinking it is hot and humid down south, never been there but every movie I saw from that area everybody sweat like a pig so you might want to bring one of these down there and rubber band it to the camera just in case your T2i over heat (-:
50 WATT PELTIER MODULE-MPJA, Inc.

David St. Juskow March 30th, 2010 11:18 PM

i'm not sure if this is the same brand / model I bought, but it looks like it. if it is, these tiny LED lights are awesome:

now, i'm not a fan of lighting like this, and i hate mounting anything on a camera. but if you absolutely NEED some kind of light, these things are great. they're incredibly lightweight, so you could literally tape it onto ANYthing. they last forever before losing their charge, and then you just recharge it when you have a chance. yes, they give off that typical LED blue light, but if you diffuse it (with anything- wax paper, whatever you've got) it'll be less harsh (though darker.) compared to, say, those nifty light panels, these are more practical and way cheaper... and tiny!

obviously as many SD cards as possible, since they're so small, a roll of gaffer tape, etc. In terms of other unique, handy items, having only had a T2i for a few days, the one thing I can think is going to be a lifesaver is some kind of an external monitor. It doesn't have to be expensive, even a cheap, crappy $40 thing will do- just SOMEthing so that you can hold and aim the camera anywhere without you having to stand behind it. Probably obvious if you've been shooting with this for a few weeks, but I'm sure if you get on a crowded bus and want to film the person next to you, this will be the only way you can actually see what you're doing.

if the t2i overheats down there, some kind of a makeshift cooling unit, even if it's composed of a bunch of cold beer cans? just thinking out loud- I have no idea how much of an issue this will be.

good luck- i am jealous!

Marc Faletti April 1st, 2010 11:18 AM

Hey Bryan,

What are you doing as far as audio (if you need it)? I am heading to Peru for 4 days and am taking my EX1 instead of the T2i for one reason: sound.

Basically, I'm not yet fully ramped up on T2i audio gear. Sure, I can snag an external recorder, but I'd like to know more about the new Beachtek DXA-SLR before I do, you know? B/c if that solves most of the woes, I'd rather have sync'ed sound right out of the cam. So since I am waiting on that, I decided I'd haul the EX1 out, even though I think the T2i might be easier and more cinematic for the shoot. Just curious what you're planning.

Bryan McCullough April 1st, 2010 12:22 PM

I've got an external Sony recorder. Similar to the Zoom but I can't recall the model right now.

Yes, external sound is a pain but I'm willing to deal with it. Plural Eyes makes syncing pretty darned easy so it's just a matter of hitting record on two devices instead of one. I will be taking one wireless lapel and one shotgun. Hopefully that will cover what I plan to do.