7D Manual Audio control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 31st, 2010, 10:08 AM   #1
Major Player

7D Manual Audio control

I was wondering if Canon might update the 7D firmware anytime soon to make the audio available with manual control like the 5D now does.

Anyone any thoughts/news/ideas?

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I have no idea about Canon. I expect that Magic Lantern will eventually be available for the 7D, but have no idea when. For now the juicedLink DN101 is one of the better solutions. It's not quite as clean as an H4n or DR-100, but it's more convenient in that there's no sync'ing.
Old March 31st, 2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Contributor

It took about a year and a half or more before they got it done for the 5DMKII.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

bit off topic but if I had to choose between the 5D & 7D right now I'd have a really hard time
Ethan Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:55 AM   #5
Trustee

I just got a Tascam DR-100, and like it. I also ordered a -25 db line (pinknoise) for going from the the Tascam to the 7D. Several of the news guys are using this cable, and I'm interested in seeing how usable the on camera audio will be, comming out of the Tascam.
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 03:00 AM   #6
Major Player

for most purposes no matter how good the recorder/cabling it will still sound pretty nasty with the AGC unfortunately..
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:35 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
I just got a Tascam DR-100, and like it. I also ordered a -25 db line (pinknoise) for going from the the Tascam to the 7D. Several of the news guys are using this cable, and I'm interested in seeing how usable the on camera audio will be, comming out of the Tascam.
Bruce yarock
How does syncing work with the Tascam DR-100? And why do you need -25 db line? I'm not an "audio" guy but I'm looking for a solution to finally use all my mics with the canon 7D...
Philipp Sokolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Trustee

Phillip,
in editing, you line up the audio from the Tascam so it's in sync with the audio on the 7d. It's pretty easy, especially if you have a slte, clap or announce the scence once everything is rolling.

The reason for the -25 db pad is that the line signal comming out of the Tascam is too hot for the Tascam. I tried without a pad and the sund was overloaded and distorted.

Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #9
Contributor

I got a cable with the pad also. Got mine from Videoguys. I have the Zoom H4N. It works fine. I only use it for recording ambient sound, like traffic noise, etc. The auto gain is OK for that kind of thing.

If anybody noticed, Juicedlink has a new gadget to be introduced at NAB. Not too long ago they came out with the add-on to the basic Juicedlink that sends a signal to the auto gain to trick it into dropping way down, then you boost gain manually with the Juicedlink. The new gadget is the same thing, basically, but all in one box. It has meters and a headphone jack. The only problem there is you would only have one channel and you're stuck with your audio going in through a mini jack, and my experience with those is that it's not a question of if it will fail, but when it will fail. I'm sticking with double system for awhile. If I had a gig where I'd need to shoot a lot of different interviews in a short period of time, then I might go for a single system approach with Juicedline. Like for a more run-n-gun documentary.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD