DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7D + canon 85mm 1.8 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/475987-7d-canon-85mm-1-8-a.html)

Kurt Zhuang March 31st, 2010 10:27 PM

7D + canon 85mm 1.8

is a dream!

but handheld video with this thing is near impossible...

took a few snaps of squirrels ha. video will be posted shortly

this lense is so sharp!

Canon 85mm 1.8 | thenorthfilms

Philipp Sokolean April 1st, 2010 04:36 AM

Really curious about this in a video :)

Norman Pogson April 1st, 2010 07:02 AM

It's on my wish list.

Kurt Zhuang April 2nd, 2010 08:33 PM

update!

lots of pictures.

Airport + Overnight + Canon 7D +Insomnia | thenorthfilms

Kurt Zhuang April 2nd, 2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt Zhuang (Post 1508323)
is a dream!

but handheld video with this thing is near impossible...

took a few snaps of squirrels ha. video will be posted shortly

this lense is so sharp!

Canon 85mm 1.8 | thenorthfilms

more pics

Airport + Overnight + Canon 7D +Insomnia | thenorthfilms

Jimmy Toha April 3rd, 2010 06:23 AM

I really like the bokeh and sharpness. Looks like a great lens.
Thanks for posting it, Kurt.

Have you played around with this lens on video mode?

I'm contemplating on getting either this or Canon 50mm f1.4 next - they're similarly-priced but if I'm getting into event videography (weddings etc), wondering which one will be better for practical usage. I currently own Canon 17-55mm f2.8, also another wonderful lens.

Wayne Avanson April 3rd, 2010 09:48 AM

You're right Kurt, this lens is fabulous. I have had mine for a few months now and love it to bits. After the 70-200 2.8L IS lens, this is my favourite both on the 7D and the 5D2

Avey

Kurt Zhuang April 3rd, 2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Toha (Post 1509247)
I really like the bokeh and sharpness. Looks like a great lens.
Thanks for posting it, Kurt.

Have you played around with this lens on video mode?

I'm contemplating on getting either this or Canon 50mm f1.4 next - they're similarly-priced but if I'm getting into event videography (weddings etc), wondering which one will be better for practical usage. I currently own Canon 17-55mm f2.8, also another wonderful lens.

I have, I'll be posting a video soon. if you do shoot with this, you'll want some kind of support rig, tripod will be fine. it's wayyy shaky handheld, and the jello effect is exagerrated because of the telephoto-ness. but this would be amazing for headshot and you have a longer reach to snag Candids :). I feel the 1.8 is fast enough for most situations anyways. however I have no experience with the 50 1.4 ...

Bill Pryor April 5th, 2010 08:53 AM

Any lens that long really needs a tripod. I can hand hold up to about 50mm pretty steady with my Cavision rig, but a tripod is better for anything longer than about 35mm.

Dan Shallenberger August 10th, 2010 09:18 AM

I've been thinking about this lens over the 50mm 1.4 right now. Would using it on a monopod be steady enough? I'm looking for something faster than and longer than my 17-55 2.8.

Bill Engeler August 12th, 2010 09:11 AM

I doubt you could use a monopod with the 85mm and not see a lot of shakes. I have pretty steady hands, but the 50mm is too shaky except on a tripod. Of course it depends on the subject. If there's a lot of movement in the scene, you might get away with it, but only if you are a zen master.

Phil Yisrael August 12th, 2010 12:54 PM

love this lens too...wouldn't be keen to go handheld with it though.

85mm short test clip on a Glidetrack: