"Video Recording Stopped Automatically" Message - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 18th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #31
Regular Crew

i used a class 10 card today and all was smooth...the indicator never appeared and no auto stops...
Matthew Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbu Vedula View Post
I am using class 6 Kingston SD cards, I keep getting the "recording stopped automatically" message almost every time I shot (the buffer indicator is displayed). Should I be using even faster SD cards? Or it could be a problem with Kingston?
Some T1i owners had this happen using Kingston Class (6) cards (one had it with 3 cards!). Canon advised the camera can be "brand finicky" and suggested SanDisk Extreme III.

That solved the problem. Nikon D90 sometimes did the same thing, again SanDisk Extreme III did the trick.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
I got the transcend class 6 and when I first time used, it stopped video recording immediately. I pressed the recording button and it continued recording. however, intermittently "buffer indicator" popped. Is the buffer indicator display normal during video recording?
That is not normal for a quality properly functioning card.

Your Transcend Class (6) is trying to do the same thing to you the Kingston Class (6) did, just not quite as bad. It will let you down when you can least afford to have it do so.

Patriot, A-Data, Delkin, and Transcend are all cards that will not give you the performance SanDisk Extreme III will.

You've now tried two lower cost cards and should have seen you can't trust them.
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
When I retried, I had the same error. The difference is I have shot some still pcis and then recorded video. Is there such a thing that the card should exclusively be used for video recording. I am wondering that it may be my camera.
You shouldn't have to do that. It is not your camera although Canon has admitted some samples can be "brand finicky". When I had a T1i I shot both stills and video on the same SanDisk Extreme III card and never had a problem.

I now do the same thing on SanDisk Extreme IV 45Mbps (or faster) CF cards in the 7D and also have no problems.

Get the right card and you should have no problems.
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Harris View Post
manual states to use class 6 and above...and remember to look at that five-level indicator when it appears on the right side of the screen during shooting...the slower the card the faster that indicator climbs...it indicates how much data has not been written to the card...if indicator hits the top you get that message stating recording has automatically stopped...
If you get that buffer bar AT ALL you have an underperforming media card.

Look, you guys have spent close to a Grand or better on the camera. If you want the dependablility that goes with that price buy a decent card. If you're out on a project the last thing you need is to be "second guessing" your media.
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
You shouldn't have to do that. It is not your camera although Canon has admitted some samples can be "brand finicky". When I had a T1i I shot both stills and video on the same SanDisk Extreme III card and never had a problem.

I now do the same thing on SanDisk Extreme IV 45Mbps (or faster) CF cards in the 7D and also have no problems.

Get the right card and you should have no problems.
Thank you Bruce for the info. Will get a sandisk
Subbu Vedula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #37
Regular Crew

I just got this error on my brand new 60D, I just upgraded from the T2i and never had any problems with the same card, a little disconcerting! It was a Class 10 Patriot, 16 GB, but as Bruce is implying, you get what you pay for!

Worst part of it was, I was in a helicopter for the first time in my life!!!! I still got some amazing shots though....

Absolutely love the 60D otherwise!
Jef Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Patriot LX Series 32G Class 10 positive experience

New 60D and 3 new Patriot LX 32G Class 10 cards formatted in camera before use. Shot all day...10 hours...no problems at all.
Jeff Cerar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Solved

Hey all, I figured out my problem, I was trying to snap a picture while shooting video, something I did frequently on the T2i, and video would normally resume after the shot. Problem is I've been shooting RAW photos recently, and I think it just couldn't handle that amount of data, switched it to JPEG and everything seems good again.
Jef Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #40
Tourist

just out of curiosity...

1. why does Canon impose the 4GB limit, and could Canon remove this via a f/w update
2. how do you record long coverage then? use the HDMI out to a hard disk recorder like a Ki Pro?
K. A. LaBarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #41
Obstreperous Rex

Answer to your first question: there is no officially stated reason. Sources at Canon once told me that the 4GB clip length limit is there to prevent standard definition recordings from exceeding 30 minutes, thereby avoiding a significant tax penalty upon buyers in the European market. There's also the possibility that the 4GB clip length limit is self-imposed in order to protect sales of Canon's professional video camcorders series (XF, XH and XL H models). However, there are a number of other ways in which a D-SLR can't replace a pro video camera, so that reason isn't a very strong one.

Answer to your second question: you don't. The outgoing HDMI signal contains graphic overlay information which cannot be removed. Long-form recording of uninterrupted clips is more suitably achieved with a proper video camcorder, such as the afore-mentioned XF, XH and XL H series cameras.

Is either point changeable by firmware update? Unknown, but not at all likely to happen. Perhaps a third party will undertake it, but not the manufacturer. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD