DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Help getting footage out of 7D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/476103-help-getting-footage-out-7d.html)

Phil Hanna April 2nd, 2010 05:03 PM

Help getting footage out of 7D

Well, I have the camera and it shoots wonderful pics and video. I can get the pictures out of the camera with the Canon program, but the video is never going to get out of the camera the way I am doing it. I thought I read somewhere that you have to convert the video into another program. If you have the proper way to do this, I would certainly appreciate it.

Phil

Ray Bell April 2nd, 2010 05:21 PM

Phil... use a card reader hooked up to your computer... just take the memory card out of the camera, plug it into the card reader and download the stills/movie files from the card to
the computer.....

Phil Hanna April 2nd, 2010 05:33 PM

Hi Ray

I can get the pictures out of the camera to the computer using the camera itself. I think there is some conversion from Mov files that helps speed up the transfer.
Phil

Ray Bell April 2nd, 2010 08:49 PM

There is no conversion required to get the video off of the camera... just copy and paste the files from the camera/card reader to the computer...

Maybe it would be best if you put the camera down for a few hours and read the manual???

Dan Carter April 2nd, 2010 08:50 PM

Nope. No conversion available, needed or possible while transfering. The speed of the CF card can have an affect on transfer speed though, 133x is recommended for video.

Good luck.

Tony Davies-Patrick April 3rd, 2010 04:08 AM

There is no need for a CF card reader. Simply plug the camera into the USB port and use EOS Utility to download stills & video direct from the DSLR to your computer. From the Canon Digital Photo Professional the files can quickly be placed on your hard drive by a left click-&-hold on the video file with your mouse and then drag-&-drop into your documents.

Phil Hanna April 3rd, 2010 05:16 AM

Duh!

I finally figured out where I was confusing thoughts. The EOS program takes the video off the card just fine. What I was thinking was conversion for Final Cut LT. Right now, I have gotten some great shots and just trying to learn what this can do. I am very impressed.
Thanks to everyone for your help.

Phil

Jon Braeley April 3rd, 2010 06:58 AM

I actually thought this was an April Fool's ... but a day late.

Phil Hanna April 3rd, 2010 07:31 AM

EOS Utility Crashing

Well, the learning cure continues. Using Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard and EOS Utility 7.1. It worked yesterday but today when I try to offload clips and pics from the camera, the EOS utility crashes, won't even begin to download. I tried reloading the software, bit no luck. Anyone else had this issue?

Phil

John C. Plunkett April 3rd, 2010 08:43 AM

I always use a card reader to transfer the files off the camera. It's easy and my Mac doesn't turn stupid trying to figure out what I just plugged into it like most other devices.

Wayne Avanson April 3rd, 2010 09:44 AM

I think you might be referring to the Canon EOS1 plug in for FCP?

you can put your card in a reader and log and transfer using this new plug in and pick you in out points, add metadata and covert to Prores at the same time.

Useful for some people's workflow but not for others.

Avey

Chuck Spaulding April 3rd, 2010 06:19 PM

Phil are you still having trouble?

There are a couple of issues that have been touched upon but I didn't get the sense that you had a definitive answer.

If you don't have a card reader and your using the USB connection from the camera, does the memory card show up on your desktop? If so you can copy the files directly to your hard drive. If not, can you use the Canon ImageBrowser instead of the EOS Utility to copy them to your hard drive?

You have a couple of choices for encoding the Camera .h264 to ProRes(LT), you can download the plugin from Canon or there's a utility called MPEG StreamClip both are free. I just started using the Canon plugin and although its a little bit slower there's a noticeable quality difference. The Canon plugin appears to be a bit sharper and the chroma is a bit higher using MPEG StreamClip.

I'm not saying one's better than the other, it just depends on the look your after. And since the Canon plugin is essentially built into FCP's Log & Transfer window you have more things you can do with naming and metadata.

Phil Hanna April 4th, 2010 07:19 PM

Thanks, Chuck

Yes, this helped a great deal. I am still trying to figure out the FCP plugin. I downloaded the file, but haven't had time to see where it comes up at in FCP. I have transfered some stuff and it came out pretty well. Today, I weened myself off full auto and shot some stuff setting my own speeds and settings on full manual. Scary! But, has to be done. I had the same issues learning the EX-1 and now it is second hand. It just takes time. Thanks so much for your concern.

Phil

Chris Hurd April 4th, 2010 11:47 PM

A card reader is so inexpensive and so easy to buy locally that there's really
no excuse not to have one. It should be considered as an essential item.