Singh Ray Vari ND Duo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Singh Ray Vari ND Duo

Is anyone using this? It's their variable ND filter with a warming polarizer incorporated into it.

I've come across several situations in the first 3 weeks of 7D ownership where an ND was needed outdoors. Just not sure I want or need the polarizer present all the time.

Any thoughts from variable ND users? Do you ever feel the need to have a polarizer built in and do you think having it there all the time would be a benefit or liability (extra glass increases possibility of vignetting).

Note: I've used SR filters for stills for years so I plan to stick with the brand.

Thanks
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I use one... it works great... but when you first get it you will think its a little bit of
a pain to use...

The reason is that you have two different filters.. a variable ND filter that you adjust with
one of the outer rings, and the polarizer that is adjusted with another outer ring....

So, you adjust the ND ring, and then the polarizer ring... but with the added polarizer it
pulls the light down on top of the ND... so it takes a little practise to get both where you
want it..

The best way to use it is to adjust the polarizer first... then hold the polarizer ring and then
adjust the ND for the final exposure...

If you don't you will find yourself adjusting the ND for the exposure, and then when you get the polarizer setup then you will notice that you now have too much light getting knocked down...

But if you use it correctly the polarizer is very nice for pulling quality shots and the ND just lets you get the correct exposure when using fast lenses....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Major Player

I was wondering if this dual filter thickness sometimes add vignetting on the wider angle lenses?

I am thinking of sticking with their single variable ND filter which is thinner.

Also, where is a good source to purchase the S-R filters from?

Finally, can't find the Variable ND in 72mm so stuck with using a rubber lens hood to mount it in.
John Richard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD