DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Just got the T2i...What to get next? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/476196-just-got-t2i-what-get-next.html)

Dave Pierpont April 4th, 2010 07:59 PM

Just got the T2i...What to get next?

Hi guys! Been searching around this thread and have found some good posts and gathered a lot of good information. I just bought the T2i basically to be used as a video camera, I decided to choose this cam over the new canon and panasonic camcorders because of the overall image quality is twice as good.

Right now I am graduating college and pursuing a career in creative video production. I do not have much money but know that the handheld video, no matter how steady my hands are, sucks....So I have began to compile a list of essentials and would like to get your guys' opinions or recommendations. heres the list:

-A LCDVF: Am leaning towards the hoodman loupe 3.0 because it is the cheapest...any others that would work? And how could i keep the hoodman connected as a DIY way instead of paying for the 25 dollar strap?

-2 extra batteries: am thinking about buying off of ebay for dirt cheap i have heard that they work but do not show the battery life, i am willing to sacrifice that in saving over 90 dollars.

-shoulder mount: i have seen mentioned that the spiderbrace is most likely the best price and quality for cheap...any other recommendations here?

-ND filters: for those bright days which is all the time during the summer where i am...I have no clue what kinds to get and i only have the kit lens.

-DIY monopod: seen here BodyPod Monopod Stabilizer for 550D Canon T2i – Light Cameras CheesyCam

-50mm lens...canon 50mm f1.8 is this good?

Sorry for the massive post but I am just getting into the HDSLR world for video and want to get as many opinions as possible...without breaking the bank

Kenneth Tong April 5th, 2010 06:50 AM

External mic & video light

You also need a directional mic to obtain good audio. A video light or any DIY lighting stuff to create certain special effect.

Terry Lee April 5th, 2010 10:26 AM

Welcome to the forum Dave.

A few things to consider.

The first and most essential is what you will be filming. You need to know what you will need these tools for. Say for instance that you are doing a short film. This short film requires some dialogue over the sholder back and fourth across a table. The solution is simple - Tripod, lights accompanied by screen filters or reflectors, proper audio acquisition, maybe a small dolly and you're set. But later in the film you're script may require some run and gun. Which means that essentially you or your camera man will be running (or power walking) with the camera. Now, I don't own either a Zfinder or a loupe but I can assure you that you won't be able to keep that camera steady pressed up against your eye or even using the spiderbrace. Therefore you will need some sort of steading equipment such as a steadicam or merlin.

I do however say this assuming that you haven't thought out your list of equipment bassed on your purpose. Sorry if that assumption is not true. What I am trying to highlight here is that once you know what you want to shoot, you will know what equipment you will need.

Now for a little more technical insight...

the Canon 50mm is fine for a low low budget.
2-3 extra batteries is a good choice. I would always go with the Canon brand..
ND filters will definately help but you CANNOT go ebay cheep with this choice. There are different grades of ND filters that the ebay filters will fall short. There are some threads in the T2i section that talk about this.
The shoulder mount - First, take a look at that thing. What is it? its a damn bar with a tripod baseplate on it. Go to home depot. They have these things for hanging like weedeaters and stuff that have grips on them. Find you a tripod with a removable baseplate and you essentially you have the spiderbrace..

Dave Pierpont April 5th, 2010 11:48 AM

Terry Lee,

Thanks for getting back to me and your insightful post. I have been studying video production for the last 4 years at Ithaca College, and have been working with the new JVC GY HM700U. I shot my senior project on it and am graduating this May.

I have money that I need to pay off and do have sort of a small budget sadly. The T2i is a great camera I have been shooting misc. stuff with it for the last week using the Kit Lens outside of course.

I am traveling to France and then Japan this entire month of June. Right now the door is open to what I want to shoot, i can do creative film or documentary. My true passion is in shooting beautiful landscapes as well as wildlife. I also, shoot some action sports such as parkour. I love documenting human life and interactions in a natural environment. Which in this case many may say that the DSLR is not the right camera to use, however, I disagree and have purchased the T2i.

I don't know if you have any advice or recommendations after reading this...but for my around the world trip I will on be traveling with the DSLR in a backpack with batteries and possibly a loupe.

I am planning on attempting to make one of these... DIY Loupe/Finder for VDSLR - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

As well as possibly this...
BodyPod Monopod Stabilizer for 550D Canon T2i – Light Cameras CheesyCam

I don't know what your guys' opinions are on these for stabilization. I am new to the DSLR world but am up for the challenge and do understand the methods and procedures behind making a quality piece of work

Terry Lee April 5th, 2010 04:32 PM

No problem man. Glad to hear that you have a passion for videography as well as graduating college.

I too will be traveling in June. My destinations are Brazil till July and then perhaps Portugal and other European countaries. My first persuit in a career was anthropology, now i'm highly interested in making a film so I spend most of my time doing this now though still do anthropology.

Anyway. I think the main concern from people saying that the T2i isn't the right choice for you is because sports is always sporatic therefore the shot will be hard to keep in focus due to a shallow DOF. Another concern could simply be the ergonomics of a DSLR camera. It will be harder to hold and run without the proper stabilizing equipment.

I can't necessarially give you any advice on the DIY loupe though I am very keen to DIY projects. The things is I don't know exactly whats important with the glass element on the Zfinder or Loupe so I can't tell you if you will be missing anything from using different glass.

For traveling, I would suggest a good backpack first. Second I would suggest a good cleaning kit. Thirdly, European/Asian outlet adapters for your charger and of course plenty of batteries. Fourth I would look at a decent filter kit. Can't go wrong there.

The mono pod wouldn't be a bad experiment for you to try to build. If it works and is pretty sturdy then I would say take it.

Terry Lee April 5th, 2010 06:56 PM

This may be of some help to you :D

On a budget? Pimp your new Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D with essential accessories! Part 1: BASIC LENSES | Nino Film - Blog - Nino Leitner