DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Is anyone getting media errors? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/476212-anyone-getting-media-errors.html)

Dylan Morgan April 5th, 2010 12:29 AM

Is anyone getting media errors?

Can anyone tell me if they are getting any errors while taking pics or video? I bought both an 8 and 16gb, Patriot SDHC cards and have been getting all sorts of media errors JUST with the 16. This is a real bummer since I shoot weddings and can't afford to have this happen. If Scandisk is really that reliable then I'll buy them. I just thought since Patriot is a decent brand, and this was class 10 then I would be alright...

Bruce Foreman April 6th, 2010 08:40 PM

Patriot is not a decent brand.

It is one of those "me too" - "Johnny come lately's" that don't match up to the well established, reputation well earned brands. I've seen several complaints about them not keeping up with the latest cameras, and I've seen numerous reports of data failures.

SanDisk has been the brand trusted by pro-photographers ever since the move to digital and Canon techs specifically recommended SanDisk Extreme III Class (6) for the T1i and some even told customers who had problems with other brands that the Canon could be "brand picky".

So far I've had no data failures or buffer overruns with SanDisk, I pay the price and follow good use habits.

Since you are photographing weddings, you cannot afford Patriot, A-Data, Dane-Elec, or even Transcend. You may be risking a lawsuit if you take the chance.

Rusty Rogers April 6th, 2010 09:57 PM

I've had good luck with Hoodman RAW 16GB cards.

Stan Chase April 6th, 2010 10:27 PM

No problems here with my four Patriot 16GB class 6 (blue shell) cards I've owned for over a year.

I do have an A-data 16GB class 6 card bought from Newegg that gives me buffer warnings on a T1i/T2i, but works fine with my Zoom H2.

Sam Kanter April 7th, 2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Morgan (Post 1509873)
Can anyone tell me if they are getting any errors while taking pics or video? I bought both an 8 and 16gb, Patriot SDHC cards and have been getting all sorts of media errors JUST with the 16. This is a real bummer since I shoot weddings and can't afford to have this happen. If Scandisk is really that reliable then I'll buy them. I just thought since Patriot is a decent brand, and this was class 10 then I would be alright...

Amazon.com: Patriot LX Series 16 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card PSF16GSDHC10 (Black): Electronics

Try Transcend 16 GB class 6 cards. They've work perfectly on T1 and T2.

John Vincent April 7th, 2010 02:46 PM

A few w/ class 6 card - basically, I think it's par for the course for the cost of these things. But - as a positive - it told me right away the footage was useless, so it's not like I got back to the studio and then found out.

So, bottom line, it hasn't been any sort of issue for me.

jdv

Michael Rosenberger April 8th, 2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kanter (Post 1510909)
Try Transcend 16 GB class 6 cards. They've work perfectly on T1 and T2.

I also have two of the Transcend 16GB C6 cards and haven't had an issue yet. Was leery of getting anything but Sandisk, but they've proven themselves for the last few months of heavy shooting.