Low Light video - Kit lens T2i at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 5th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #1
New Boot

Low Light video - Kit lens T2i

Working with the kit lens right now and getting really bad results with low light video. The photos come out pretty good, but the video has a lot of grain.

Right out of the box I set it to manual and tried some low light footage at 1600 and 3200 ISO,...bad. Then went to the auto exposure the next evening and got better results, but nothing to brag about.

I have read today that you want to set the ISO between 200-800 in low light (have not had a chance to try this yet). Has anyone had any good luck with the kit lens and do you have a rule of thumb for low light\night footage?
Michael Gruich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gruich View Post
I have read today that you want to set the ISO between 200-800 in low light (have not had a chance to try this yet). Has anyone had any good luck with the kit lens and do you have a rule of thumb for low light\night footage?
Rule of thumb with the kit lens? Yes, remove it from the camera, and put it on Ebay. Use funds from sale to buy a decently fast lens, and watch problems disappear.

The kit lens is suitable for daylight footage or other similarly bright conditions. That is all. If you want good performance and you don't have a lot of light to work with, you need MUCH faster glass.
Old April 5th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Scroll down in the T2i section and look for threads that pretain to lenses. There are all sorts of good lenses out there that people have experimented with and have had good results. You can find video examples (eventhough they are streaming youtube videos) of some lenses that people are using.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the replies, heading down the lens replacement road as we speak.

Great forum here.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #5
New Boot

I bought he camera with the kitlens (thinking it was cheap) but I never use it. Should have just bought the body and a 50mm 1.8 lens.
Emil Gustafsson Ryderup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #6
Major Player

I quickly learned quite a few years ago in still photography that I needed a 'fast lens' starting at f2.8 zooms. The cheaper kit lens will quickly show it's limitations in anything but good light. In a naturally lit interior it will struggle unless you add good artificial lighting. The kit lens at 55mm and F6 will make life difficult causing high ISOs and therefore grain.

Drew.
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Rule of thumb with the kit lens? Yes, remove it from the camera, and put it on Ebay. Use funds from sale to buy a decently fast lens, and watch problems disappear.

The kit lens is suitable for daylight footage or other similarly bright conditions. That is all. If you want good performance and you don't have a lot of light to work with, you need MUCH faster glass.
I don't agree. The kit lens is very good optically, just not very fast for low light situations. It performs very well outdoors, and has IS as well. I use it when I want to travel light.

Besides the 50mm 1.8, you need to spend some good bucks for fast lenses.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Trustee

let me recommend spending a few extra bucks, not a lot, and skip the 50mm 1.8 and go with the 50mm 1.4 Stunning in low light, almost generates it's own and it's $350. I can't keep it off my camera! Super for video and almost as nice as my 24-70mm 2.8 L which was almost 4 times more.
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Well if he should go to something in the $350 range then I suggest the Sigma 30mm 1.4
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #10
New Boot

I set the camera to manual, then an ISO of 400 (200 was way too dark).
Very happy with the results, even with the kit lens. The lens was perfect in well lit areas and here is a frame grab of what I got in a pretty low light section of the building. The new lens is really going to help for sure and I am pretty happy with the results after getting the tips, thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Low Light video - Kit lens T2i-image4.jpg  
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Not to threadjack, but has anyone actually gotten just the camera body? I placed an order on March 6th at Amazon and it's still listed as a pre-order. Seems like that at other places as well.
Sean Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #12
Trustee

Here's the thing - the lens you get is worth more then it cost in the kit - it has IS, nice (if not lightweight) construction, decent focal range.

But it's not fast. It won't win any "best of" contests, but it's a solid lens that has produced some stunning results.

But not at night on a dark street. Not in a dark room. I like the kit lenses; glad I own it - but I bought Canon's 50mm/1.8 three days after getting the camera. Great deal - very fast, nice and crisp. Buck 10 in local camera shop.

So for amounts to $210, you can have two very tight lenses that are made for the camera by the company that makes the camera. In other words, they work, no questions asked...

...And I think that's a pretty good deal. And for $500 more you can get into a very nice, quite fast, wide angle piece of glass (Sigma). So for under a grand, you can have some very nice options, all of which can produce professional results.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woods View Post
Not to threadjack, but has anyone actually gotten just the camera body? I placed an order on March 6th at Amazon and it's still listed as a pre-order. Seems like that at other places as well.
I got one from B&H 2 weeks back
Subbu Vedula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #14
New Boot

Samy's camera had them in stock, the web page shows they are out, but taking orders.

If you call, they can check and see if there are any in.

Samys

I think everyone is having a tough time keeping this camera on the shelf.
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Just to chime in on the continuing kit lens debate, I have to say, despite my earlier post about how disappointingly bad low-light video was using my kit lens, I've been shooting stills a lot with it (while I wait for my tokina 11-16... and wait...) and, for stills, it's pretty kick-ass. For a hundred dollar lens, I got some great shots at 3.5, iso 800, 1/2 second shutter speed- totally handheld, even, full manual focus. We're talking barely-lit here, yet sharp, warm photos.

Of course, those are stills. But there's clearly nothing wrong with that kit glass...
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD