Canon 7D *Official* DSLR Rigs & Discussion ~Post Your Pics/Learn To Build It~ - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 31st, 2011, 07:50 PM   #46
Trustee

It's been a few months and I'm still getting updates to this thread, so it's my turn again I guess!

Out with the old and in with the new: I've just picked up the JAG35 Field Runner kit and I have to say, I'm very impressed with the unit. At just over $600 with Zacuto rods, a top handle and follow focus, this is by far the most functional shoulder mount I've had the pleasure to use so far.

Pictures are a little bad because I was forced to use my cell phone, but you can see the general layout of the rig. The whole thing is quite adjustable and has an offset railblock that raises up the LCD and Z-Finder to eye level. The mount for the camera is remarkably well designed with battery access, an attached thumbscrew and a secondary pin to keep the camera centered on the rails. Behind the shoulder pad, there's plenty of room to mount additional accessories like a ZOOM recorder.

The follow focus is incredible for the price - $139 - and really has made my life a lot easier when shooting handheld. The rings are pretty solid as well, and attach to the lenses with different size plastic screws.

I opted for the Zacuto aluminum rods to save about 8oz of weight. For $60 it seemed worth it, and now I'm glad I did. The handles are also quite nice, and adjustable so you can get a solid grip on the follow focus - all machined aluminum under those grips.

I've realized by this time that this probably sounds a lot like an ad, but I'm honestly very impressed with this moderately-priced, high-quality piece of gear. And if you don't have a follow focus, go order a Dfocus V3 right now :)
Attached Thumbnails
Canon 7D *Official* DSLR Rigs & Discussion ~Post Your Pics/Learn To Build It~-img_20110131_191208.jpg   Canon 7D *Official* DSLR Rigs & Discussion ~Post Your Pics/Learn To Build It~-img_20110131_191239.jpg  

Canon 7D *Official* DSLR Rigs & Discussion ~Post Your Pics/Learn To Build It~-img_20110131_191316.jpg   Canon 7D *Official* DSLR Rigs & Discussion ~Post Your Pics/Learn To Build It~-img_20110131_191345.jpg  

Old February 6th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #47
Major Player

Thank you Nate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
It's been a few months and I'm still getting updates to this thread, so it's my turn again I guess!

Out with the old and in with the new: I've just picked up the JAG35 Field Runner kit and I have to say, I'm very impressed with the unit. At just over $600 with Zacuto rods, a top handle and follow focus, this is by far the most functional shoulder mount I've had the pleasure to use so far.

Pictures are a little bad because I was forced to use my cell phone, but you can see the general layout of the rig. The whole thing is quite adjustable and has an offset railblock that raises up the LCD and Z-Finder to eye level. The mount for the camera is remarkably well designed with battery access, an attached thumbscrew and a secondary pin to keep the camera centered on the rails. Behind the shoulder pad, there's plenty of room to mount additional accessories like a ZOOM recorder.

The follow focus is incredible for the price - $139 - and really has made my life a lot easier when shooting handheld. The rings are pretty solid as well, and attach to the lenses with different size plastic screws.

I opted for the Zacuto aluminum rods to save about 8oz of weight. For $60 it seemed worth it, and now I'm glad I did. The handles are also quite nice, and adjustable so you can get a solid grip on the follow focus - all machined aluminum under those grips.

I've realized by this time that this probably sounds a lot like an ad, but I'm honestly very impressed with this moderately-priced, high-quality piece of gear. And if you don't have a follow focus, go order a Dfocus V3 right now :)

Hey Nate I just wanted to thank you for this great information. I did not know about the existence of JAG35 until you wrote this post. I think this is exactly what I was looking for because I always wanted a Zacuto (Zacuto Double Barrel) but I am definetelly opposed to pay that kind of price. I am still interested on the indiSYSTEM ULTRAcompact Package, but the Full DSLR Shoulder Rig with Zacuto rods seem to be considerably better and for less than 200 bucks more I think it is forth the price.

I will add the D Focus V3 follow focus and perhaps the JAG35 Monitor X (but I am not sure about this one).

So, just that. I wanted to thank you because your input was very valuable to me.

I wish you a very successful 2011 with your company!! (I checked your website and it looks impressive!!)

Best Regards,

Ben Tolosa
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Re: Canon 7D *Official* DSLR Rigs & Discussion ~Post Your Pics/Learn To Build It~

An update on my canon 7D rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon 7D *Official* DSLR Rigs & Discussion ~Post Your Pics/Learn To Build It~-canon7d.jpg  
Dp Reel http://www.visualcinema.com/reels/ Rentals in NYC http://www.visualcinema.com/rentals/cameras/ Scarlet-X SN#634 "HEXTALL"
Jonanthan Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:44 PM   #49
Major Player

Re: Canon 7D *Official* DSLR Rigs & Discussion ~Post Your Pics/Learn To Build It~

nice rig man!
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #50
Major Player

I have a new rig coming this week pics to come!
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:06 AM   #51
Trustee

The pictures on this thread look like a catalogue for disabled photographers. Maybe it's me, but this whole concept of adding zimmer frames to a camera looks ridiculous. Why not get a decent camcorder, it will probably be a lot cheaper.

I love the concept of HDSLR cameras, but the simplicity is lost when all the add ons have been added.

Just my quirky thoughts, no offence meant.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD