DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   T2i + Rode VideoMic (Mono) First Impressions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/476273-t2i-rode-videomic-mono-first-impressions.html)

Matthew Capowski April 5th, 2010 05:05 PM

T2i + Rode VideoMic (Mono) First Impressions

There is excessive hiss/background noise. I've read about this problem in the 7d forum. Until the AGC gets defeated is this an useable combo? I'm thinking of returning the mic, not because of any fault of the mic but because of the current unusability of the combo. Even at -10db on the Rode mic the noise is excessive.

I don't want to buy a Juicedlink or Beachtek to go with this mic -- I may as well just grab a H4n then.

I also tested this mic with my Zoom H2. Much, much less noise. But still, too much noise.

How much of this background noise/hiss can be removed in post?

Craig Irving April 5th, 2010 05:21 PM

I too would love to know what recipe (filter, EQing, etc) has helped to remove this noise in post. I gather it's the same frequency all the time, but I don't really know much about audio editing. Hopefully the solution is rather easy.

I have also resigned to the idea of purchasing a Tascam DR-100 (or Zoom H4N).

Sylus Harrington April 5th, 2010 10:28 PM

Most decent audio editing programs offer a noise reduction option where you record a short interval of the noise you want removed. Then the program uses that as a reference to remove similar sounds throughout the clip. But there is much tweaking involved and subpar programs produce weaker results.

If you can get the H4n that would be good. And if you use FinalCut get the PluralEyes plugin and you can easily sync your two audio sources.

However I am sure the pickup from the Rode is way better than the on board mic the T2i has.

Mark Kaang April 6th, 2010 12:15 AM

I believe there's a hack where you can use a Y splitter and bombard one channel with a constant audio source.

YouTube - Canon 7D/T2i AGC Bypass Trick

Matthew Capowski April 6th, 2010 10:09 PM

Thanks for the replies all. That gives me some good leads. I have a spare ipod sitting around so I will see how much noise there is when I input a constant sound.

I love simplicity. I think I may just have to return the mic and go for a H4n or a Juicedlink. 'Tis a shame because I liked the Rode Video Mic.

Matthias Krause April 7th, 2010 03:31 AM

But you know that the -10db setting on the mic is a pad, right? So itīs only logical that there would be even more hiss since the sound level from the mic would be -10db lower and the AGC will try to compensate for it. Also: Did you test the mic in real life situations? The louder your sound source is the less hiss you should hear... Which doesnīt mean that AGC doesnīt suck but you might want to read up on the audio part of things first before buying more stuff...