wave effect with wide angle lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 11th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Inner Circle

wave effect with wide angle lens

This show on the travel channel, "Million Dollar Yachts", a lot of the cabin shots PAN through and there's this warping or wave effect during the pan. Question, is this going to happen at a particular mm? Is it hallmark of cheap glass? At what point (mm) do you get it?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Major Player

the more distortion the lens has at wide angles, the more of a wave effect it will have during motion. It isn't pinned down to a particular mm, but dependent on quality of lens. Although doesn't immediately show cheap glass, because there is very expensive glass that does this as well, it would however indicate cheep glass if lens is not very wide.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Trustee

You can see this type of effect here, with a Canon 10 - 22mm WA zoom lens.

This was shot with a 550D rather than a 7D, but the 7D is the same crop factor so would give similar results.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

10-22

The video looks great! I just ordered the 10-22 and can't wait to see what I can do.
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Personally, I like a wide look, but notsomuch during a pan which induces that bowing.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #6
Trustee

I agree Brian, but it was my first time out with this lens, and it looked so dramatic I couldn't help it! Next time I will try to exercise a bit more control.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD