DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Sync problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/476784-sync-problem.html)

Anna Clara April 14th, 2010 03:07 AM

Sync problem

Hi everybody,
so I filmed a few interviews with my Canon 7D, not for the first time either, get back home, put my film down, and start working on it. I don't need the full 1080p so I decided to convert it into a slimmer 1280 x 720, tried converting both in wmv and then mpeg 2, but the same few videos have an out of sync problem between video and audio.
Any thoughts? Reconverting isn't working too well either...
(I work on PC on Edius 5)
Thank you

Ted Ramasola April 14th, 2010 04:06 AM

Whats your workflow in converting the mov files? Did you use edius to convert? Did you use HQ? Was the frame rate the same from the source to your 720 target file?

Anna Clara April 14th, 2010 04:54 AM

Thank you for your attention Ted.
So, I use Oxelon Media converter to convert the file, same frame rate, I tried two different bitrates, one very high and one very low, thinking that was the problem, but no change..
Any ideas?

Ted Ramasola April 14th, 2010 05:20 AM

Use edius to convert your files. Import files into the bin. Select all of them, right click and batch convert.
Your files will be coverted to HQ avi files.

This workflow assures that the frame rates of your clips will be retained as is. 24, 30 or 60 will be as is.

The files will retain same resolution though and they will be bigger in size BUT they will be better in quality compared to using mpg 2 or wmv.

HQ will also be easy for edius to handle. (this depends on your PC specs )

Whats the spec of your pc? (processor, ram, hardrives)

p.s. if you update to 5.5 its suppose to handle canon files natively. :-)

Carlo Zanella April 14th, 2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna Clara (Post 1514125)
Thank you for your attention Ted.
So, I use Oxelon Media converter to convert the file, same frame rate, I tried two different bitrates, one very high and one very low, thinking that was the problem, but no change..
Any ideas?

You could also try mpeg streamclip free software to convert your 7D files. It offers many format options. I use it with the 7D to convert them into MOV with the dnxHD codec and it works great. My workflow is different though (Vegas Pro9 build "d"), but I have never had any sync issues.

Good luck.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Bill Pryor April 14th, 2010 09:09 AM

I have to make WMV files for one client after a production is finished, and on my Mac-based editing system they always play out of sync unless I crank the bit rate way up there.

Anna Clara April 15th, 2010 11:39 AM

So, my pcs specs are:
- Processor : Intel Core 2 T7300 @ 2.00GHz
- 2 Gigs RAM
- 2 160 Gigs Hard Drives.
I use Windows Vista.
As of now, my pc is a bit on its last legs (you guys have no idea how fun it is to edit not in real time, meaning I have to render everything etc.)
I used mpeg streamclip, but it always gave me problems. Oxelon is perfect.
I'm noticing edius likes mxf files a lot, even in HD it processes them without many problems.
But the out of sync problem had never happened to me before, and I've done the converting thing for a couple other jobs....

Ted Ramasola April 15th, 2010 09:55 PM

The 2 gig cpu is a factor there Anna.
Its a configuration that was ok for HDV, mpeg2 codecs. The AVCHD codec will bog it down.

Even when converted. At 720 it will just be barely ok. But since 7D is mostly 1080 , unless your shooting 60p, its going to be kinda slowed down.

When editing using Edius. I still recommend its own HQ codec as intermediate. However, you would need much larger drives.

Anna Clara April 17th, 2010 08:55 AM

Sorry, lost a couple things in translation
bog it down?
So, if instead of converting it to 720p I converted it to normal sd I would have no problems?
Because when I output the files now, they're out of sync, and just my files, the mxf ones that are there are fine, and they're out of sync for a sec, and then go back to being in sync.
I don't know what to do, at this point, I need a solution to and for this

Ted Ramasola April 17th, 2010 09:49 AM

i meant the avchd codec will slow down your CPU which is only only good for HDV and DV.

I meant converting your footage to HQ as it is. not down converting it to SD.

Use only edius to convert from within the BIN . import your footages which are mov files, right click them and select batch convert.

Then edit on your timeline using the HQ converted files.

Export to whatever format you want after.

In my case I export my master into HQ avi also. and just use that master to convert to m2p for DVD or wmv for HD playback.

BUT assessing your system, you'll probably need more harddisk space, and a faster CPU to be "comfortable."

Pedanes Bol April 17th, 2010 06:22 PM

I had similar sync problems before which were resolved after removing some third-party quicktime software (perian and flip4mac) from my hard drive.

Edit: (System: Apple Mac)

Anna Clara April 19th, 2010 01:59 AM

So the only solution is to try to re-convert everything again?

Ted Ramasola April 19th, 2010 02:30 AM

Anna,

I dont know the status of you current project.
My recommendations is what i would suggest to you for future projects.

Anna Clara April 22nd, 2010 03:37 AM

Thank you Ted, and everybody for the advice.
I'll finish this one as it is, and try that workflow for my next project.