DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Upgraded my existing z-finder for protection (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/476791-upgraded-my-existing-z-finder-protection.html)

Marty Hudzik April 14th, 2010 06:49 AM

Upgraded my existing z-finder for protection

I ordered the kit to upgrade my existing Zfinder that I bought in february. I got the kit that replaces the rubber eyepiece and adds a lens cap. It also has a rubber bellow like ring that covers the threads for unit to protect against dust. A good investment indeed but so far the lens cap just doesn't seem to fit at all. It doesn't snap on, it doesn't screw on and it just kind of sits there and falls off easily. This doesn't seem right. It came with no directions so I called Zacuto but was on hold for a while and couldn't wait any longer. They are probably slammed with NAB being this week. Anyone else order this upgrade? Am I missing something because the way it is at the moment is just about useless for pretecting the glass.

Thanks.

Shamol Majumder April 17th, 2010 02:10 AM

I ordered the upgrade from my friends who attended NAB, the protection kit and the pouch (I guess everyone who once carried the Z-Finder in a jacket pocket waited for this). I should get my stuff in the next couple of days, so I can tell you soon if mine fits.

I'm also getting the new Target Shooter mini-rig and the new removable mounting frame. As soon someone can tell me how to safely remove tho old frame I'll switch.

The best way to reach Zacuto is via e-Mail or Twitter. They answer very fast. Even while NAB within 30 minutes, at least from Susan Rapp.

Ray Bell April 19th, 2010 07:06 PM

Marty... the kit should have included a new rubber eyepiece... with the new eyepiece the protector should hold itself in... just put it in an give it a little more pressure to pop it it...

Marty Hudzik April 19th, 2010 07:47 PM

I switched the new rubber eyepiece and it still doesn't fit. The cover cannot fit because the glass element or mechanism is flush up against it. The is no room for it to go in. In fact, it is almost impossible for me to tell the difference between the new and old eyecup too. They look virtually identical.

Ray Bell April 21st, 2010 06:48 AM

makes me wonder if you don't have two "older" eye cups... as far as I can tell just by looking at the older
and the newer eyecup, the difference is the rubber thickness where the eyecup meets the eye viewer glass...

on the newer eyecup the rubber thickness is about 2 times that of the older one...

I put the older eyecup on and tried the lens cap... it just barely held itself in place... would never work
in the field... then put the newer eyecup on and its very snugg... enough so that I could swing the
whole assembly with my arms and the eyecup stayed put...

Shamol Majumder April 25th, 2010 01:52 AM

My friends got stuck due to volcanic activity, but now I finally got the upgrade...

My new eyecup works fine with the cap. As Ray says the opening is clearly much thicker then the old one. It really looks like you got by mistake a second old cup. Just try to contact Zacuto via e-Mail or Twitter, I'm sure they will send you a new eyecup.

The pouch by the way is nice as well except that it looks pretty huge, could be a little more compact for my taste...

Marty Hudzik April 26th, 2010 11:31 AM

I called them and they were great about it and they are sending me another free of charge. Their theory is that an "old" style one was accidentally shipped. I will let you know when I get it how it works out.

Thanks!

Rusty Rogers April 26th, 2010 12:28 PM

Z-Finder can be better!

I thought the rubber eye cup was a bad idea all together and made this...
My fix covers the threads. (accidentally)