Upgraded my existing z-finder for protection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 14th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #1
Trustee

Upgraded my existing z-finder for protection

I ordered the kit to upgrade my existing Zfinder that I bought in february. I got the kit that replaces the rubber eyepiece and adds a lens cap. It also has a rubber bellow like ring that covers the threads for unit to protect against dust. A good investment indeed but so far the lens cap just doesn't seem to fit at all. It doesn't snap on, it doesn't screw on and it just kind of sits there and falls off easily. This doesn't seem right. It came with no directions so I called Zacuto but was on hold for a while and couldn't wait any longer. They are probably slammed with NAB being this week. Anyone else order this upgrade? Am I missing something because the way it is at the moment is just about useless for pretecting the glass.

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:10 AM   #2
New Boot

I ordered the upgrade from my friends who attended NAB, the protection kit and the pouch (I guess everyone who once carried the Z-Finder in a jacket pocket waited for this). I should get my stuff in the next couple of days, so I can tell you soon if mine fits.

I'm also getting the new Target Shooter mini-rig and the new removable mounting frame. As soon someone can tell me how to safely remove tho old frame I'll switch.

The best way to reach Zacuto is via e-Mail or Twitter. They answer very fast. Even while NAB within 30 minutes, at least from Susan Rapp.
Shamol Majumder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Marty... the kit should have included a new rubber eyepiece... with the new eyepiece the protector should hold itself in... just put it in an give it a little more pressure to pop it it...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Trustee

I switched the new rubber eyepiece and it still doesn't fit. The cover cannot fit because the glass element or mechanism is flush up against it. The is no room for it to go in. In fact, it is almost impossible for me to tell the difference between the new and old eyecup too. They look virtually identical.
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

makes me wonder if you don't have two "older" eye cups... as far as I can tell just by looking at the older
and the newer eyecup, the difference is the rubber thickness where the eyecup meets the eye viewer glass...

on the newer eyecup the rubber thickness is about 2 times that of the older one...

I put the older eyecup on and tried the lens cap... it just barely held itself in place... would never work
in the field... then put the newer eyecup on and its very snugg... enough so that I could swing the
whole assembly with my arms and the eyecup stayed put...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #6
New Boot

My friends got stuck due to volcanic activity, but now I finally got the upgrade...

My new eyecup works fine with the cap. As Ray says the opening is clearly much thicker then the old one. It really looks like you got by mistake a second old cup. Just try to contact Zacuto via e-Mail or Twitter, I'm sure they will send you a new eyecup.

The pouch by the way is nice as well except that it looks pretty huge, could be a little more compact for my taste...
Shamol Majumder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Trustee

I called them and they were great about it and they are sending me another free of charge. Their theory is that an "old" style one was accidentally shipped. I will let you know when I get it how it works out.

Thanks!
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Z-Finder can be better!

I thought the rubber eye cup was a bad idea all together and made this...
My fix covers the threads. (accidentally)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD