Looking for ND faders in U.S. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 14th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Looking for ND faders in U.S.

Where is everyone buying the ND faders in the US? B&H is the only retail website I could find carrying them and they seem to be discontinued or always out of stock for a while now. I need 77mm size.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Major Player

I can't speak for US users, but I get mine direct from Light Craft Workshop in Hong Kong.

http://www.lightcraftworkshop-shop.com/
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Many are looking

Light Craft has been out of the 77's for a while now. I think just about everyone is. There's one single Singh-Ray up on e.b., but it's over $450.
Brian Carrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I just purchased a 77mm fader ND off of amazon last Monday from a store called Crawfords in Florida. My step up rings will probably arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works but so far this thing looks legit.
James Dierx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Major Player

You can order Singh-Ray direct thru them in Florida either on their website or by phone.
They ship within a day or two.

The variable ND filter comes in 77mm but you can also purchase an adapter to go to 72mm as well.

Cannot say enough good things about this filter. So useful and quick.

For video shooting it overcomes the loss of adjusting parameters due to having to maintain 1/50th shutter speed for 24frames per second and 1/60th for 30fps. Now you can easily control depth of field and exposure with what becomes another variable parameter - just quickly dial in the ND level you need for the iris you want.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks

Not sure why, but I didn't try finding the actual company website. Thanks for the info!
Brian Carrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Major Player

One caveat:

With some very wide angle lenses you may get some vignetting at wide open apertures.

I have the standard(little thicker than the "thin" version due to front threads for more filters) Variable ND. On a Tokina 11-16mm, when wide open at 2.8f and at 11mm, you can see the filter in the corners. Move the Tokina to 12mm and you're good to go ... or setup exposure for a smaller aperture and you are good to go.

If you do not see yourself adding other filters, you may want to go with what they call their "thin" version. It is well explained on their website.

Last edited by John Richard; April 16th, 2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Typo on thin
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Dierx View Post
I just purchased a 77mm fader ND off of amazon last Monday from a store called Crawfords in Florida. My step up rings will probably arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works but so far this thing looks legit.
James-
I also purchased a 72mm Fader ND from Crawfords (using it for the 28-135 Canon Lens) - I spoke with the guy in customer service who happened to be a photographer and he claims they "manufacture" the Fader. He also claims they are coming out with a high def version (somewhat better glass and optics) in a few months. Let the forum know how your experience with the filter is.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD