Do Firewire SD card readers exist? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 14th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Do Firewire SD card readers exist?

I figure if a few hours of Google searching turns up nothing, then the product doesn't exist, but I could be wrong. Why does something like this not exist, or if it does, why is it so hard to find??
Aaron Dunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Aaron,

Even Class 10 SDHC cards are slower than USB 2.0 so there doesn't seem to be an advantage to having a faster interface. UDMA CF cards are inherently much faster, making a the Lexar FireWire 800 reader or an ExpressCard reader worthwhile. They make SD to CF adapters, but you're still only going to be able to transfer at the fastest SD cards are capable of, roughly 15 - 25 MB/sec.
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Perfect, this is exactly the explanation I needed. Thanks!
Aaron Dunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #4
New Boot

Re: Do Firewire SD card readers exist?

This helped me as well!
Sean Vergara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Not so usefull at the moment for SD cards but if you want the fastest card reader available that will also take advantage of faster future cards then this is a good choice delkin card reader usb 3.0
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks, Joel, for finally making me happy with my USB 2.0 and SD cards. I have a USB 3.0 port on my computer and was itching to get a USB 3.0 card reader. No point in that. I have ESATA also, and I had gotten a combo card reader/SATA disk reader/ cloner that was advertised with an ESATA or USB 2.0 hookup. I was disappointed to find the ESATA cable hookup must connect only to SATA hard drives, and does nothing for the card reader part of the unit (hard to interpret the Chinese advertisment!).
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiros Zaharakis View Post
Not so usefull at the moment for SD cards but if you want the fastest card reader available that will also take advantage of faster future cards then this is a good choice delkin card reader usb 3.0
I really like that Delkin Card reader, with most of these card readers I feel that they are always cheaply made.
Does this one have some nice weight to it and does the backwards compatibility slow it down a lot or just a little?
Sean Vergara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I Greece where I live the Delkin card reader is not available.
I have two Pretec P240 USB 3.0 card readers. They are tiny, their build quality seems to be good (but not exceptional) and they are extremely fast with CF cards and as fast as it gets with SD cards. I have not plug them on USB 2.0 port so I don't know if they are any slower than regular USB 2.0 card readers but I would guess that they will be at least as fast as my other USB 2.0 card readers when used on a USB 2.0 port.
Honestly though a PCI USB 3.0 add on card costs less than $15 so no point not to get one.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD