DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Article: Tips for video on DSLR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/477230-article-tips-video-dslr.html)

Michael Gruich April 20th, 2010 07:24 AM

Article: Tips for video on DSLR

I found this while looking for various settings to use while outdoors, has some good advice for starters.

Tips on Shooting Video With a D.S.L.R. - Gadgetwise Blog - NYTimes.com

(From New York Times)

April 15, 2010, 1:42 pm
Tips on Shooting Video With a D.S.L.R.
By RIK FAIRLIE

Note from Admin: text removed due to copyright

Chris Hurd April 20th, 2010 07:32 AM

Hi Michael, it looks like you copied the text of the entire article and pasted it here. Please don't do that. DV Info Net does not have an agreement with the New York Times to republish their content. What you've done constitutes a violation of copyright, so I've removed all of that text from your post. The link is all we need.

Michael Gruich April 20th, 2010 09:11 AM

good deal, not sure on the laws, thanks for clearing it up.

- Michael

Khoi Pham April 20th, 2010 09:29 AM

Those tips are not very good, I wouldn't use it.

Chris Hurd April 20th, 2010 09:48 AM

Can you be more specific, Khoi? I thought all of those tips were pretty much spot on.

Michael Ojjeh April 20th, 2010 10:17 AM

All the of those tips were pretty good , but the shutter speed for video 1/50th ? I am not sure about that one !

Khoi Pham April 20th, 2010 10:29 AM

Ok I read more into it and agree with some, but he recommended you to shoot at 50th/sec shutter speed at ISO 200 and 5.6 F-stop, you know as well as I do that there are many newby reading this and they will go out and set their camera exactly to those settings and will come home and wondering why their picture is either under or overexposed, you can only get a properly exposed image if you can control your light at those settings and if you can do that you are a film maker, people that reading this article don't have the experience of a film maker and will use those settings and will get bad video quality, and heck I turn my camera vertical many times, you can add a bunch of vertical layers to fill out the side and makes a very nice effects, so no you don't have to turn your TV side way, if you are shooting event, you must focus where the subject is and follow, how do you know where they will be at and focus it there? invest in a good mic? the T2i has auto gain, a good mic will not improved much unless you can defeat auto gain or using seperate audio recorder.

Chris Hurd April 20th, 2010 11:05 AM

The person who wrote the article might not have been clear on the concept regarding "ISO 200." I believe that Bruce Dorn, the course instructor to whom the author was referring to, was most likely suggesting the use of Highlight Tone Priority, which makes ISO 200 the lowest available ISO setting.