DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   My first impression of the T2i ! Good and Bad ! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/477361-my-first-impression-t2i-good-bad.html)

Michael Ojjeh April 21st, 2010 07:46 PM

My first impression of the T2i ! Good and Bad !

I just received my T2i yesterday afternoon, I had just enough time to charge the battery and go out to my son's car race (which I made), I was actually reading the manual on the way over there, it is my first DSLR camera.
I set the camera to shoot 60 fps so I can slow it down and post, I had no idea what I was doing but the image looked really good on the camera screen, my lens was 50mm f/1.4.
The good news was the image was unbelievably clear in such Ok lighting, but the bad news was that the camera overheated after half an hour of shooting, and it kept overheating over and over again, I must have turned the camera off 10 to 15 times just to keep it cool.
Vimeo doesn't do the image justice.

Michael Keller April 21st, 2010 07:56 PM

Cool video!

I'm guessing one reason it overheated as much as it did was that you were shooting 60fps the whole time. Doesn't the camera have to work pretty hard to maintain that data rate?

Michael Ojjeh April 21st, 2010 08:01 PM

Thanks Michael, I only heard people complaining about the camera overheating is when shooting in 60 fps, I haven't even tried shooting in 30 fps yet to see if it overheat. Hopefully not !!

Robert Turchick April 21st, 2010 08:06 PM

There's some pretty good sized threads here on the overheating...happens at 30 too. Personally, I've had much better luck with the battery grip which gets the battery away from the processor. The AC adapter worked flawlessly in a studio style shoot..

congrats on the camera and great choice on the lens...it was my first too! AWESOME!

Michael Ojjeh April 21st, 2010 08:38 PM

what surprised me the most is I was only shooting one minute clips at the most, there were no 5 or 10 minutes continuous shooting and still overheating,

Robert, do you really think the battery grip will make a different ? did you try to shoot with 60 fps without overheating with the battery grip ?

Robert Turchick April 21st, 2010 08:49 PM

whenever I'm not shooting, my camera gets turned off. doesn't really matter what length clip you shoot if the camera's on constantly.

haven't tried 60fps but I was having a horrible time even with 30 until the battery grip. AND...I can't guarantee that this is a good solution but it seems to have helped as my last shoot was outdoors sunny 90 deg and the temp light only came on once.

Bryan McCullough April 21st, 2010 09:14 PM

As I've stated elsewhere, I've noticed a significant difference since getting the battery grip.

Sam Kanter April 24th, 2010 05:59 PM

FYI, I shot a dance concert indoors (30fps) for almost two hours (5-10min clips), used up two 16GB cards - no overheating or temp light. In fact, I've never seen the temp light.

Janson Williams April 24th, 2010 09:54 PM

I am looking at purchasing this DSLR for a 2nd camera accompanying my A1. I noticed in the tech specs, 1080p=20fps. How does the full HD look? Has everyone's footage been shot originally in 720p equaling 30fps?

Thanks much.

Bryan McCullough April 24th, 2010 10:02 PM

That's not correct. You can shoot 1080p in 30 and 24 fps.

Chris Hurd April 24th, 2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janson Williams (Post 1519047)
I noticed in the tech specs, 1080p=20fps.

That's the older Rebel T1i that does 1080p20. Get the Rebel T2i instead.

Janson Williams April 25th, 2010 06:33 AM

Thanks for info.

Colin Rowe April 25th, 2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh (Post 1517843)
what surprised me the most is I was only shooting one minute clips at the most, there were no 5 or 10 minutes continuous shooting and still overheating,

Robert, do you really think the battery grip will make a different ? did you try to shoot with 60 fps without overheating with the battery grip ?

Get it checked out, there is clearly something wrong with the cam if its overheating on 1 or 2 minute clips. These cameras are guaranteed to overheat at one point or another, but on 1 minute clips, no it shouldnt happen.

Michael Ojjeh April 25th, 2010 09:20 AM

The quality of the image of the T2i in low light blow away my Canon H1 and A1 by far, I did a test with my son next to a candle only with no other lights and the image was just unbelievable.
At this point I am going to be using the T2i as a Broll camera only, my main cameras still be the H1 and A1 until something else comes up that have a better sound control and no recording time limit.

Michael Ojjeh April 25th, 2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Rowe (Post 1519153)
Get it checked out, there is clearly something wrong with the cam if its overheating on 1 or 2 minute clips. These cameras are guaranteed to overheat at one point or another, but on 1 minute clips, no it shouldnt happen.

I was shooting for 30-45 min short clips before it starts overheating, and the camera was on the whole time, I did shoot yesterday at 30fps and didn't have any problem, I think it is more problem at 60fps then 30 or 24fps.