DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Corrupted 7D video file (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/477366-corrupted-7d-video-file.html)

Ben Winter April 21st, 2010 10:20 PM

Corrupted 7D video file

Hey all,
I've got one .mov file that doesn't want to play, it's "not a file that Quicktime understands." Cineform doesn't like it either. It's certainly possible the battery died in the middle of filming and the camera was unable to finish writing the file. The data is there; it's 376 MB or so and I'd really like to get it back.

Any known way to repair the file and make playable whatever complete footage managed to get written?

Norman Pogson April 22nd, 2010 05:26 AM

Have you tried playing it with the VLC Media player?

Nick Hiltgen April 22nd, 2010 06:08 AM

I had my first corrupted file last week, we tried everything but just ended up reshooting the scene. I'm curious to know what options exist to fix it if someone has a solution.

Ben Winter April 22nd, 2010 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Pogson (Post 1517947)
Have you tried playing it with the VLC Media player?

VLC refuses to play it as well; no error message, but the video doesn't show up.

There has got to be a simple way to repair the file...

Rob Evans April 22nd, 2010 07:10 AM

Can you still thumbnail it on the camera? I had a prob with my 550d the other day and used the edit function to trim the first couple of seconds and copy it back to the card as a new file. Maybe worth a shot!

Craig Terott April 22nd, 2010 09:30 PM

yes, try trimming the end of it.

Jimmy Toha February 16th, 2011 12:52 PM

Got the exact same problem. 3 files got corrupted in 7D after a 4-hour shoot. It's frustrating since 2 of them are crucial shots and because we're working in tight deadline, it's gonna be hard to arrange for a re-shoot.

Appreciate any advice if you've found one, folks!

Justin Molush February 16th, 2011 01:33 PM

Whenever I get errors like this I like to import it into premiere and start slicing at the edges and seeing what I can get out of it - if it doesn't respond then most likely it is fubared...

Johannes Soetandi February 16th, 2011 08:16 PM

This is actually a common thing that has happened with 7D. Although its not regular but in a 2 weddings that I've shoot last year, I've got some corrupted files.. hasn't happened so far this year, and hope it does not happened again..

But anyway, your solution to this is: www.aeroquartet.com/movierepair/

I've used it.. cost about $129 for multiple files repair (although software can only be used for 15 days). But if you think its worth the money.. try it out and it should fix the corrupted files.

Craig Terott February 16th, 2011 09:40 PM

I don't understand this whole repair workflow. Why is it necessary to upload the file?

How 'bout this. You pay for the program. You open your corrupt files with the program, then selectively choose options for repair. The program continues to work because you paid for it.

Johannes Soetandi February 18th, 2011 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Terott (Post 1618992)
I don't understand this whole repair workflow. Why is it necessary to upload the file?

How 'bout this. You pay for the program. You open your corrupt files with the program, then selectively choose options for repair. The program continues to work because you paid for it.

Craig, you can probably try asking the repair company themselves.

When I first upload a sample, they fixed it and gave me a sample of the clip (with watermark) to confirm if the software actually works. If you want to proceed, then you will have to pay. Their reason was that because every file is unique and may not always work in the long run (or maybe they just dont want their software getting pirated).