Canon's EOS Utility with a Card Reader? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon's EOS Utility with a Card Reader?

Is there a way to use the EOS Utility with a Card Reader? I ask because it can add the nifty touch of sorting your clips by date, which is really helpful after a long shoot. The irony, of course, is that you'd be crazy to use your camera as the downloading mechanism instead of a much faster $10 card reader. But with a card reader, the EOS Utility doesn't work... or am I wrong? Is there a workaround?
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi David,

Are you referring to the EOS Plugin for Final Cut Pro? If so at present to get it to work with the T2i/550D you need to make an adjustment to a preference file with a text editor to add the new cameras to the list:

Adding 550D Support to the New Canon EOS Final Cut Plugin|Final Cut User
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

No, I'm referring to the EOS Utility software that comes with the camera. It has all sorts of nifty functions, like being able to control the camera via the computer and capturing images straight to your mac/pc. It's also the only way to get images off your card via the camera. You can set the default to organize the photos in different ways, one way being that it creates folders by date, so that every day's pics/movies go in a separate folder, very handy for archiving.

Of course, with a card reader, you're just dragging files and putting them wherever you want. I was wondering if there was a way to use the sw's functionality via a card reader, but perhaps no one uses this thing? Are we all just manually dragging/dropping?
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm not using Canon's software for transfer. I drag and drop the contents of my card to my permanent archive drive where I store and backup all my footage. Then I use the Final Cut plugin to log and transfer the clips into their correct project.

It's a bit of a hassle, but I like having the originals backed up.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Got it. I haven't loaded Canon's software. I'm using Apple's Aperture for importing and versioning still shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David St. Juskow View Post
No, I'm referring to the EOS Utility software that comes with the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD