Image Capture skips files over 1 GB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 26th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Image Capture skips files over 1 GB

I like to import footage to my Mac using Image Capture utility provided by Apple. It always seemed to work just fine, but yesterday, I got curious - I had this creeping suspicion some of the clips are missing. Then I tried to re-import the card using EOS Utility and I was right!

Image Capture, at least on 10.6.3, completely omits video files over 1 GB in size - the worst thing is, it doesn't say anything, no error report, nothing. I've tried this several times with different clips and the problem persists. EOS Utility imports them without problems.

This is 2006 iMac (still good enough for ProRes 1080p) with footage imported directly via USB from 7D with original firmware.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Contributor

You can get a cheap CF card reader and drag and drop all size files to where you want them.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, thanks, I know, I have CF reader at work, but I just thought this should be known.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #4
Major Player

But what makes you think it should work?
This is a generic utility for offloading images from USB cameras - even Apple state that you should be using your own camera brand software before using image capture. Apple never mentions video as part of it's function in the user guide.

This is the wrong application that's all - there are plenty of better options, including Canon's.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #5
Major Player

You're right, but this is exactly why I submitted this topic - to discourage others from using it. Image Captures gives no indication whatsover that there is any kind of issue and it works for most files - and that is the problem.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD