DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Here's why my next one will be a 7D (probably). (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/477777-heres-why-my-next-one-will-7d-probably.html)

Bryan McCullough April 28th, 2010 11:50 AM

Here's why my next one will be a 7D (probably).

So I've had the T2i for a couple of months now and am sold. We've used it on a few projects and it's working great, so I'm going to get a second camera. But which to get, another T2i, 7D, or 5DMII?

The 7D is effectively $1000 more than the T2i, I could get two more T2is for the cost of a 7D. But working through it, here's why I think it's worth it. I'm posting this because I'd like to get the T2i community's feedback on it and see what your thoughts are.

1. Ability to dial in specific white balance temps. I never really used this before, but now that I'm paying more attention to the kinds of light I'm using and trying to match to cameras like my Z7U I'm finding that I wish for this ability.

2. Ability to use the in between ISOs. Seems that it's fairly conclusive that the ISOs the 7D and 5D can use (320, 640, etc.) give a cleaner picture than "whole value" ISOs like 200, 400, 800.

3. Ability to monitor out in HD. Of all the reasons this one may be the most significant to me. I'm finding focusing with my 7" monitor in SD to work just fine. But on the shoot, with the client watching, I just hate having a 4x3 SD image on the monitor. It would be easier, look better, and just be nicer to have HD out while recording.

4. Better construction. Unsure how significant this one really is, but I do have a few timelapses planned in the future and leaving the camera outside for extended periods might be less harmful to the 7D than the T2i. Also planning a trip to Nicaragua and will be shooting in some rough environments. Stuff like that would seem to be better dealt with better construction.

5. Seemingly better button navigation/customization. Having never used a DSLR for video before I've been fine with the way the T2i lays out its controls, but seeing how the 7D works I can see it's a slight bit easier to use in terms of buttons. Really long for the dial.

That's my list so far, each of those things are fairly minimal but added together I'm feeling the difference in cost to be justified.

On the T2i side the only thing I can really think of in its favor (other than the price) is the better LCD screen.

Anyway, thoughts?

George Angeludis April 28th, 2010 12:12 PM

If I was at your place I would buy better lenses for the T2i. But if you can buy a 5D Mark II, who can say no to it.

Bryan McCullough April 28th, 2010 12:20 PM

Lenses aren't a real issue. My sister is a professional photographer and I've got access to several thousands of dollars in lenses from her. That's a real blessing, my favorite so far is the Canon 24-70 2.4. It's on the T2i 75% of the time.

As for the 5D, you lose the HD monitoring out. I'd expect the next revision of the 5D to have that and I'd consider it again when it comes.

Jon Fairhurst April 28th, 2010 12:49 PM

If it were me, the #1 reason to get the 7D would be for 1080 monitoring - assuming that you use an external monitor in your productions.

And the #1 reason to jump to the 5D2 is for the better selection of primes - especially at the wide end. It's also nice if you want to record audio into the camera.

If you use zooms and a loupe, the T2i/550D is a heck of a deal.

Aaron Dunlap April 28th, 2010 01:44 PM

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but as far as the in-between ISO's go, couldn't this possibly be fixed by a firmware upgrade, or maybe even through a Magic Lantern firmware? Is this a hardware limitation of the sensor?

Also, why is there a better selection of primes for the 5D Mark II? All EF mount lenses work just fine on the T2i, no?

Also again, how is the audio input on the 5D Mark II different than the T2i? Both are stereo inputs with AGC, correct?

Bryan McCullough April 28th, 2010 02:09 PM

The 5DM2 now has manual audio controls and monitoring, at least with levels. Does it have headphone monitoring as well?

I assume the ISOs could be changed via firmware but I would imagine it's unlikely that Canon would do this if no other reason than to keep the T2i from being too good and cutting into sales of cameras like the 7D. Obviously it's working on me. :)

As for Magic Lantern, I don't know what it would be capable of and have no idea of a time frame for getting it to work on the T2i (or if it's even going to be attempted). In any case, if I'm looking at making a decision in the next couple of weeks, neither of those things are likely to change.

If the 5D had HD monitoring out while recording it would be a slam dunk, no reason to even consider the 7D. But that alone makes it hard to spend so much on it when you know the next revision will have it.

James Donnelly April 28th, 2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Dunlap (Post 1520778)
Also, why is there a better selection of primes for the 5D Mark II? All EF mount lenses work just fine on the T2i, no?

5D is Full frame as you are probably aware. Same lenses have a wider field of view. 17mm is ultra wide on a 5D and just wide on A 550d.

For this reason, there are less wide angle lenses to choose from for the APS-C sensor cameras. Something amateurs like me have to live with. Still, I'm a telephoto guy at heart, so I'll take the bigger choice of long lenses every day.

David St. Juskow April 28th, 2010 02:59 PM

a good argument. my thoughts:

#1- when I first used the t2i, there was some menu setting which showed the different white balance temps as numbers AND categories- in other words, it said "DAYLIGHT" and then had a 5600(?) underneath. Then I tried finding that menu again and could only find the categories without the numbers- I have no idea why, but I didn't have a chance to scour the manual and had to return the camera and am waiting for the replacement. So, to me, though the fewer WB options isn't as good as the 5D's version, it's a minor issue and not worth the extra grand for a 7D.

#2 - similar. Not such a big deal that I'd get a 7D.

#3- yes, agreed, if you need that HD output then that's a major factor. For me, the LED screen is so sharp on the t2i, I haven't needed anything- but in a situation where I need an external monitor, I don't know whether the HD is essential over an SD. However, if you get a 7D, you will not have such a sharp LED screen, and that's a BIG bonus to the cheaper camera.

#4- I would agree in theory, but the reality is that you will probably be upgrading to a newer, better model way before your plastic case stops doing it's job. Of course, if you're running around the world's jungles, this may not be the case, but in 95% of situations, I don't think the metal body actually is much of a bonus.

#5- that's a negligible difference to me.

At this moment, the winner by a little bit is the rebel, IMHO. If that external HD monitoring bonus is a necessity, I can see the 7D winning out, but that's a big IF.

Aaron Dunlap April 28th, 2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Donnelly (Post 1520803)
5D is Full frame as you are probably aware.

OK here is a big beef I have: why do people call the 5DM2 a full frame camera? It is not a full frame camera. It is a 1.3x crop sensor camera. Granted it is a bigger sensor than the APS-C cameras and so I can understand your argument now, but I don't get why everyone calls the 5D full frame.

Don Miller April 28th, 2010 04:39 PM

5D, 1Ds - full frame 1.0 crop
1D - APS-H 1.3 crop
Everything else - APS-C 1.6 crop

Cris Daniels April 28th, 2010 05:02 PM

EOS 5D Mark II

Uh maybe because the 5DMK2 is indeed a full frame camera, a true sensor size which of 24x36. Canon has sold full frame digital slr cameras to the pro market for many years. Not everyone can live with their wide angle lenses becoming a very ho-hum 32mm focal length due to the smaller APS sized sensor cameras.

Jon Fairhurst April 28th, 2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough (Post 1520786)
The 5DM2 now has manual audio controls and monitoring, at least with levels. Does it have headphone monitoring as well?

Yes. Headphone monitoring has been available on ML since the first release.

George Angeludis April 28th, 2010 05:11 PM

It has a headphone jack?

Bryan McCullough April 28th, 2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1520857)
Yes. Headphone monitoring has been available on ML since the first release.

Magic Lantern yes, but what about the official Canon firmware update?

Jon Fairhurst April 28th, 2010 05:59 PM

Nope. No headphone monitoring from Canon. And the graphic monitor is only available deep in a menu before recording starts.