DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   four T2i for live multicam shoot? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/477924-four-t2i-live-multicam-shoot.html)

Darrick Vanderwier April 30th, 2010 07:11 PM

four T2i for live multicam shoot?

Wondering if I could use 4 T2i cams to shoot a half hour interview recorded to the cards as well as send a feed out to a switcher to live switch a feed for projection screens. The live feed is a "byproduct" for the live audience. Also so the director has a view of all cams at once and can do a live "rough cut" of the interview that will be re-edited in post and combined with other footage to produce a 40 minute "show" that will be viewed the following week in HD.

Can you record on the T2i and send a signal at the same time? Will I be able to do this for 30 mins straight without overheating issues? (this is in a controlled environment)

Joel Peregrine April 30th, 2010 08:00 PM

Hi Derrick,

Should really ask this on the T2i forum because there are some differences between it and the 7d, one that applies here - the output of the T2i goes to 480i when the record button is pressed. The 7D stays 1080. It records and outputs at the same time though. And the only way I shoot non-repeatable events with T2i's (which I do) is to have a back up body at the ready so it can swap out with any one that overheats.

Darrick Vanderwier April 30th, 2010 10:44 PM

Joel,
Thanks a ton!
I didn't even realize we had a separate forum ( although I think I may have posted in that one several times already...)
I came here directly from the home page.
I will look into the 7D option I believe for this reason alone.
The 1080 would be much better for live switching.
Didn't know about this option.
Thanks again.

Bryan McCullough April 30th, 2010 10:57 PM

Won't you still have the red dot and focus box on the HDMI out?

Allan Tabilas April 30th, 2010 11:41 PM

Unfortunately you'll definitely have the recording red dot on the T2i and the 5D Mark II via the hdmi our composite output (don't think you'll have the focus box there though). So it may not be useful from a live recording perspective.

Darrick Vanderwier May 1st, 2010 02:18 PM

Can you somehow get rid of all on screen items on hdmi out?

Darrick Vanderwier May 3rd, 2010 10:18 PM

Thanks mods (Chris?) for moving this here. My mistake in posting in the 7D forum.
Anyone else out there shoot multicam events using T2i's run through a switcher or run to a directors booth for live stuff?
I am interested mainly for the lowlight benefits of these cameras and also for cost factors.
Also if my current JVC camera has this lens:
5.5 to 88 mm (16 x Optical Zoom) f/1.6
82mm Filter Diameter
Minimum Object Distance= 1.9 Feet/0.6m
How would I figure out what an equivalent lens (or set of lenses would be?)
ie when fully zoomed out on my JVC what lens would I need to use to get similar framed image on my T2i?
Same question for when fully zoomed in.
My uneducated guess would be a 5.5 and a 88mm but I believe I am incorrect as there is the crop frame issue at play right? Any help would be great as this is totally new ground for me.
:o)

John Wiley May 4th, 2010 01:38 AM

I'm gonna guess that your JVC camera has 1/3" sensors, which means it's crop factor should be around 7.2. That means your lens has a 35mm equivelant of about 39mm to 630mm (roughly). So you'd need a combination of lenses starting at 25mm and going up to about 400mm if you want to cover the same range.

Gerald Webb May 4th, 2010 04:59 AM

uhm, I was asking about using one of these for live shows the other day,
I fell in love with the camera until I found out it only goes for 12 min.
Thats right isnt it, it will only record for 12 mins before having to be restarted?
I'd be very grateful if someone has a hack or fix for this,
or if I just misunderstood, please enlighten me.

Chris Hurd May 4th, 2010 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Webb (Post 1523046)
Thats right isnt it, it will only record for 12 mins before having to be restarted?

Yes, that's true for any HD-equipped Digital SLR camera, whether it's the Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i, the EOS 7D, 5D Mk. II, 1D Mk. IV, etc. -- we try to point this fact out clearly to everyone who isn't already familiar with the way these cameras work. The 12 minute clip length limit is not a problem for traditional narrative filmmaking, but really doesn't lend itself to long-form event recording at all.

Christopher Bruner May 4th, 2010 09:52 PM

Thanks best info I heard today. I really thought this was a game changing camera with cheap good HD Video, but 12min may not work for many people.

Gerald Webb May 4th, 2010 10:02 PM

Looks like Im settled on the Panasonic GH1, only one Ive found that will record as long as your SD card will go for.
1K more than I wanted to spend though.