Adjusting to the DSLR setup, a few questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 4th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Adjusting to the DSLR setup, a few questions

Well I made the jump. I sold my entire JVC HD110u rig and replaced it with a T2i and a few other accessories to make the rig more professional looking and functional. I'm a little anxious about a couple of the abilities I've lost in the transition, but I'm adjusting. I thought I'd ask about a couple of them and see if you geniuses might have some input.

12 minute clip limit
Wow. Before I was using a 60GB Firestore drive on the HD110u and did several 8 hour time lapse shots with no problem. I also do lots of vidcast stuff where there are sometimes long video diary entries. Is there any way to allow for longer clips? Are you guys finding good ways to get around the 12 minute limit?

No 1080p HDMI output
I knew this was the case before purchasing, but I'm still a little bummed that my DP1 isn't being utilized to its full capabilities. For this reason alone I'll probably get the 7D when I'm ready for a 2nd camera. For now I'm planning to use the DP1 anyway in hopes that it will at least help me pull focus. Is anyone else using the DP1 with the T2i and having good results?

Recommendation of not using SD cards over 8GB
I'd like a little more explanation as to how important this is. How likely is it to have a card corrupt? Would I be safe using 16gb or should I really just stick to the 8GB cards? 22-23 minutes isn't too bad, so I can live with it.

Any other advice you guys can give me to help me with my move to a smaller rig with more restrictions would be much appreciated (not to mention general encouragement that I've made the right choice :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm blown away with the video quality, no question about that. I'm just generally struggling with the move from a more professional rig (which is sold and gone!). Thanks guys!
Evan Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Trustee

Welcome to the madness!

It is a huge adjustment coming from a camcorder. That's one reason why a bunch of us are keeping our camcorders.

No way around the 12 min limit. (unless you drop to SD res.) This is a non-issue for me 'cause I use my HMC-150 for long, continuous recording/wide shots and the T2i for closeups and DOF.

The HDMI out is probably the single biggest bummer as I too have a DP1. It will work for focus though I prefer to use a Z-finder. The DP1 stays on the 150 which has a terrible viewfinder.

Cards are a matter of who you ask. I use 16 and 32 gig with no issues. Since jumping on the tapeless bandwagon a little over a year ago, I've had one card that was bad out of the box and one fail with some data loss. Both were 32gig cards.

You will want to pick up a Zoom H4n for audio. (or some equivalent) And personally, I'd get a consumer or cheap pro camcorder to use as a stationary cam. None of these tapeless cameras are bulletproof and I'm a bit neurotic about redundancy. Especially if you shoot non-repeatable events.

I shoot such a wide variety of stuff, it didn't make sense to abandon the camcorder completely. If you shoot mostly controlled situations where you can yell "CUT" then I suppose it would work. The other thing I've read as a solution is to have two DSLRs and simply alternate if you need longer record times...BUT that doubles your lens investment too.

Oh, lenses...that's a whole other topic...do a search on it and you'll get lots of opinions!

Hope this helps and happy shooting!
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Robert! I wish I would have had the option of keeping the HD110u, it was a great camera. Onwards and upwards I guess. Most of the stuff I do should be fairly controlled, commercials, interviews, etc I don't plan on doing much live event recording, hopefully that'll help a little.

So far I have the T2i w/the kit lens, a Canon 50 1.8 and a Tokina 11-16mm. I'm planning to get a nice zoom and replace the kit lens very soon. I have a simple rail system from PROAIM with a mattebox and followfocus and a few bits and peices from RedRock Micro I'm planning to mix in there as well. I've been a little hesitant with the z-finder because I think I'll have a hard time focusing my eye on the screen at that distance. I'll have to rent one and try it out first I think.

For audio I'm using a Rolls 4 channel mixer into my Edirol R-09 which I think works well for now. I couldn't see replacing the Edirol with the Zoom even though it has the XLR inputs, I could be wrong though, some input would be great!
Evan Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Trustee

sounds like you're on the right track!

Another odd thing to remember is the zoom lenses are not going to yield smooth zooms like a camcorder. I have several zooms of varying quality and find it very difficult to use them for that. Since most of what I deliver is web, I shoot 1080 30p but edit in 720 30p which allows a certain percentage of zoom in post. Not ideal but it's saved my butt a few times. If I have a gig where a lot of zooming is required, it's back to the HMC-150.

Audio-wise, if you're happy with the quality, go with it...the Zoom is just a killer deal for what it does. I ran it the other night at a show and used the 4-track mode to record a stereo feed from the live sound board and a pair of audience mics. Sound quality is stunning.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD