I don't get it...yet - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 13th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I agree the comment that you feel like a filmmaker with a HDSLR. It brings out the photographer in me.

The 7D and a L Glass zoom like my 24-105 is much heavier than my video camera or my last still camera, but I have to remind myself that I am carrying around a 35mm motion picture camera. If you treat it as such it won't steer your wrong.

Alan
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Lane View Post
Yeah using dslrs for anything other than narrative work is a huge pain. Occasionally worth it, but if you don't plan to use it mostly for narrative work then I'd look for something else.
Well, I've been using for "doc style" corporate work and honestly, when you handle it correctly (which takes practice) it is more than acceptable. I've also used it for interviews and really its great just time your 12min breaks during a question. But yes the commercial work where each take is less than 1min is the easy. I actually prefer to use a zfinder (or similar) over an HD monitor if no additional field monitors are needed.

YES record separate audio! I've been using the Tascam DR100 with excellent results. MUCH cleaner than the HVX too.

My HVX200 is pretty much collecting dust at this point, although I bring it as a backup camera.
p
Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:07 PM   #18
New Boot

Have a look at the season finale of House on Fox. It was shot with a 5DmkII. Anyone who thinks they're not ready for prime time might want to have a second thought. They're not a replacement for the big guy's rigs, but they can put out a fabulous image.
Alan Auld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
Colin:

If and when someone like Magic Lantern unlocks the HDMI signal output of the 7D and we can record it to a NanoFlash (Convergent Design) recorder with the plethora of super high quality codec, 4:2:2, and high data rates, we will then see what these babies are really capable of putting out.
e.
I"d love to use one of my MXO2's to record to prores.... but not yet. how STUPID they don't give you a clean HDMI output.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Halfhill View Post
I agree the comment that you feel like a filmmaker with a HDSLR. It brings out the photographer in me.
Yes me too. I used to shoot a lot of photographs on an SLR when I was an undergraduate at art school. Using shallow DOF as a means to make the everyday more abstract and dramatic was my thing back then. I then moved on to digital cameras and lost the passion for exploring photography from a creative point of view. Video became my medium of choice but without the shallow DOF I couldn't really bring my photographic aesthetic across to the new medium.

The first time I went out and shot some images with a 5D II I remembered why I used to love taking photographs. The fact that this camera also brought that shallow DOF into the video realm was the perfect alignment of all my previous interests and experience.
Ben Denham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD