The T2i is PLENTY strong for me... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 17th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #16
Trustee

Took it to the bar to get some test footage, got drunk, and latter dropped it.

Not a scratch. Works like a charm.

Needless to say, I haven't done it since, but I've had other cams that didn't survive "the first drop" test, so I'm happy enough with the toughness.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #17
Trustee

well having owned a T90 ( it was stolen :( amazing camera still selling used at its new price ) and an original EOS-1 film camera ( it was stolen :( :( ) the 550D is much smaller in the hand to the point of where you could really get a cramped hand using it all day. thankfully I'm not doing that for video purposes, and even for stills I tend to either be on a tripod or using a flash grip even if I'm not using a flash.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #18
Trustee

Two words "weather proofing". That's a big reason why I would get a 7D over the Rebel. Doing a lot of photographs of rally cars in all weathers means that weather sealing is a must, even using a cover of some kind (heavy rain gets everywhere, not to mention condensation build up).
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #19
Trustee

One area I'm a bit concerned about is when I have the heavy lenses (24-70L & 70-200L) on it, they droop enough to make the follow focus not want to work well. I am fabricating my own support (can't justify spending over $200 on Zacuto's support.) which will solve this but I wonder if the 7D and 5D would behave differently.

Otherwise, it's great for what I do strength-wise.
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #20
Major Player

The T2i is built just how it was supposed to be built, to suit certain needs. Those that say it is cheaply built are 100% accurate, it's an $800 body! "Cheaply built" and "well built" are allowed to be used in the same sentence, it's ok. As far as the 7D and 5D tanks, well, will your T2i trample through the mud?...maybe, but that is not what it was built for. But yes, it is a well built camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
...(can't justify spending over $200 on Zacuto's support.) which will solve this but I wonder if the 7D and 5D would behave differently.
Robert, consider the warranty that comes with Zacuto's products...lifetime! And you get top notch customer service. But if you don't think it's worth it, then it isn't. Just sayin.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
One area I'm a bit concerned about is when I have the heavy lenses (24-70L & 70-200L) on it, they droop enough to make the follow focus not want to work well. I am fabricating my own support (can't justify spending over $200 on Zacuto's support.) which will solve this but I wonder if the 7D and 5D would behave differently.

Otherwise, it's great for what I do strength-wise.
I use both those lenses regularly with my FF and they seem to work fine.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #22
Regular Crew

The point that the T2i isn't "weatherproof" makes sense...but what's still got me a little confused is...do owners of 7D's and 5D's routinely...

• leave their cameras sitting unprotected in pouring rain?
• drop or throw their cameras into the mud?
• do things like climbing rock faces with the camera just dangling from a strap and slamming against the rock?

This is what I can't figure out...I keep hearing people refer to what *seem* to be scenarios like this...and yet I would NEVER do any of these things unless I was so filthy rich that a 7D or 5D was a "disposable" camera for me.

Can the 7D and 5D *really* withstand the kind of abuse I mentioned above? (More importantly, does the fact they have a metal body indicate they were *meant* to be abused like that?)

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stakes View Post

Robert, consider the warranty that comes with Zacuto's products...lifetime! And you get top notch customer service. But if you don't think it's worth it, then it isn't. Just sayin.

JS
I hear ya but here's what I'm modeling mine after...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/472623-REG/Cavision_R15_LS25SET_R15_LS25SET_Lens_Bracket_Support.html
And since I already have the 15mm rails bracket ($35) the other piece can be made from aluminum stock for about $2. And I can skip the strap which for my needs is pointless. I know the Zacuto stuff is nice (I have a Z-Finder Pro) but I'm a tinkerer and have the tools to make it myself!
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
Took it to the bar to get some test footage, got drunk, and latter dropped it.

john
LOL Brilliant real world test!
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #25
Trustee

Well, I don't know how smart it was....

But it was def a real world test (and I will take it as a compliment!) - here's a sample of the footage I took that night:

john vincent's videos on Vimeo

john
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Aside from John's...err...real-world test...I'm still waiting to hear exactly how 7D and 5D owners abuse their cameras...

They love to talk about what tanks they are...and yet few people seem willing to admit they beat 'em against walls, drop 'em all the time, sling 'em in the mud, etc...

(Guess I should post in the 5D forum!)

Scott
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #27
Major Player

Accident do happen, you just never know, or one day in TX here last winter it was snowing like crazy, took the kids out and shoot some video in the snow, after a few minutes the camera was soaking wet from snow melting on a hot body, I wouldn't do that with the T2i but didn't even think about it with the 7D, I have both and there is no doubt the 7D is better built, you really get what you pay for, not to mention about other features like intermediate ISO, Kelvin temperature adjustment, seperate control for aperture, no need to push a button at the same time and turning the dial to adjust aperture, micro focus adjusment for still and much more stuff that T2i doesn't have, but most of all 7D will give you better picture under certain situation in low light, for example, a scene is lit that to get a good exposure it call for ISO 1250 at F 1.4 with shutter at 50th of a second, now T2i doesn't have ISO 1250, you either have to use ISO 800 and lower your shutter speed and introduced blur to your image or go up to ISO 1600 and have to higher your shutter speed so it won't over exposed but then at ISO 1600 you will see much more noise, and so here is a prime example why 7D can have better picture than T2i, I shoot with both and this is the fact, I'm glad that T2i works well for you, but you make it sound like people that buy 5D and 7D is waste their money or something, no they don't, they get more and you really get what you pay for.
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Sorry Khoi...I didn't mean to suggest the 7D or 5D are a waste of money...though looking at detailed specs, I *do* believe that the quality difference between the 7D and 550D is definitely NOT worth $800-900. That's 2x more expensive...and the 7D in my opinion does not produce results that are 2x better than the 550D.

But my real point was simply to suggest that build quality is not a reason NOT to buy the 550D. (I've gotten my T2i slightly wet in a light rain, and there was no problem. In fact, has ANYONE ever had a problem from a T2i getting wet? Some people act as if they'll explode if a single droplet of moisture gets on them...)

Scott
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #29
Trustee

Well, again on a night when I might had "a pint" I was out shooting at night during a misting rain. Prolly shouldn't have, but what ya gonna do?

I'd want to keep rain off of it just to keep the lens clean, if for no other reason.

jdv
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Aside from John's...err...real-world test...I'm still waiting to hear exactly how 7D and 5D owners abuse their cameras...

They love to talk about what tanks they are...and yet few people seem willing to admit they beat 'em against walls, drop 'em all the time, sling 'em in the mud, etc...

(Guess I should post in the 5D forum!)

Scott
Well, my buddy called me the other day. He dropped his 5D with a 16-35L mounted on a tile floor. And he said it bounced. 5D....not a scratch and in perfect working order. 16-35L....$500 to repair and approx 6-8 weeks to get parts!

Having dropped other things on my tile floor, I would have to say my T2i would not survive unscathed. I watched my son drop our old Panasonic FMZ-5 camera and it is toast...or should I say crumbs!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD