Workflow Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 18th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Workflow Question

Apologies if this is rehashing an old topic but I simply cannot find the answer I'm looking for. I'm using Final Cut Express and therefore convert all my 7d footage using the Apple Intermediate Codec. When I finish editing I then convert to mpeg4 (highest resolution) so I can post up on sites like youtube. A four minute video is usually about 250MB. Now, I know the quality isn't great on YouTube etc but I'm noticing a huge amount of degredation in the footage from leaving my camera to the point after I have exported from Final Cut Express. Is there a better way of doing it to minimise loss?
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Major Player

The quick answer is upgrade to FCP Studio. The Apple Intermediate Codec is not very good.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear. Once you have Compressor though, you can then use the preset compressor for YouTube sharing which makes wonderful files for Vimeo, YouTube, etc.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I do have Compressor as a standalone application but is this available as an export option in final cut studio?
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Use the QuickTime H264 codec in Compressor.
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Is that better than using the H264 codec in Quicktime Conversion (when exporting in FCE) then Liam?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Compressor still uses the quicktime engine to do the encoding. I'm not sure which mpeg4 you used since h.264 is still mpeg4, but it should be better than the normal mpeg4 part 2.

I don't know what else to tell you to edit in other than AIC. That's the best codec in express from what I recall for HD. I had to use AIC a lot back in my JVC HD100 days for 720p before HDV became more prominent in Final Cut.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:37 PM   #7
New Boot

Tim, I'm facing a similar challenge with my 5D Mk II and FCE. What are you using to convert from H.264 to AIC? I've been experimenting with MPEG Streamclip, exporting as AIC, but bumping up the quality from the default of 50% to 100%.
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Trustee

Sites like Vimeo and YouTube have maximum bit rates, if you exceed them they have to compress more and their compression sucks [to put it politely].

What I have found that produces the best results easily for 720P is to export using the Apple TV setting in Compressor. It is gated to 5mb/s, produces a .m4v file that looks surprisingly good.

A four minute video with a 5Mb bit rate should yield a file about 170MBs.

Sorry for the shameless promotion but the proof is in the encoding --
Av8Chuck on Vimeo :)
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #9
Trustee

Sorry, I may have misunderstood your post. How does the footage look after converting to AIC on your timeline? Also, I have never used FCP Express but I'm assuming there's a sequence setting for AIC?

Although the AIC is not the best, your footage should look good and as long as your sequence settings are set correctly and you export using your sequence settings the output should look as good as the AIC footage that was encoded from your source footage.

If your exported AIC quicktime looks good then my previous post is applicable. I used the AIC for quite a while before ProRes and found that the output from it was quite good.
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Davison View Post
Is that better than using the H264 codec in Quicktime Conversion (when exporting in FCE) then Liam?
Not necessarily better, but exporting via Compressor gives you more options and is more efficient. Either way, ditch the MP4 and use H264. I'm sure you'll like the results.
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rubin View Post
Tim, I'm facing a similar challenge with my 5D Mk II and FCE. What are you using to convert from H.264 to AIC? I've been experimenting with MPEG Streamclip, exporting as AIC, but bumping up the quality from the default of 50% to 100%.
Yes, that's exactly what I do at the moment Carl
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #12
Trustee

How's the quality of the AIC that MPEG StreamClip produces?
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #13
New Boot

Chuck, as I have no other standard of reference I can only say that it looks really good to me. I've done exports to AIC for FCE, as well as a conversion to .mp4 so I can view the clips on a Sony PS3, and they all look fine. Is there a test you can recommend that would provide a more scientific analysis?

Tim, I should have assumed you were using MPEG Streamclip. Nonetheless I cannot resist asking one more question. Did you uncheck the Interlaced Scaling checkbox, and leave the frame size at 1920 X 1080 (unscaled)? If so, then that's as good as it gets, and the problem must be elsewhere.

Last edited by Carl Rubin; May 24th, 2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: forgot something...
Carl Rubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #14
Trustee

just use prem pro and it can edit it all native. way faster and simpler the FCP....

for encoding a matrox MXO2 with MAX provides hardware accelerated encoding which makes turning out different versions really fast and easy. you can make a couple of passes if you need to tweak settings and it doesn't take all day :)
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Wow, wish I'd known that before buying FCE!
Tim Davison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD