How do you abuse your 7D? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 26th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I had my 7D ripped out of my hand and watched bounc off the cement floor. Mind you the lense broke, put a new lense on, and kept shooting. The body had no issues.
Chad Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 04:59 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
I haven't really used my 7D in challenging weather ( except for South Florida sun). I did have continuous overheating on several shoots; one was out in the hot sun, another was an all day shoot in air conditioning, and yesterday in a green screen studio. I only ran the camera for a couple of hours, shutting down after each take, and the overheatring wa really a pain.
I love the image it produces, but the overheating is just one of the many ergonomic pains in the ass.
Bruce Yarock
did you install the new firmware bruce? supposed to have fixed the overheating threshold probelm although i never had an issue so cant confirm it..
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #18
Trustee

Manus,
Right after I installed the new fimware, I let the camera run in record mode for a full 12 minutes several times. After the 2nd time, it started overheating. Then i id testimonila shots on wed, and thursday ( 2 hours each day), and turned the camera off and on after each interview, (10 each day) and got no overheating.
At this point, I have no idea...
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #19
Major Player

After you installed new firmware, you need to remove the battery for it to take effect, so maybe after that first time you removed the battery and it stop overheating but turning off and on for me is the key to keep it cool.
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #20
Regular Crew

My precious has been through a lot.. Filming for 6-7 hours in - 25c degrees to working in heavy snow/rain/slush all day long.. Works as a charm :)
7D is more water resistant than most people think...
Morten Engelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #21
Trustee

Morten,
I think that hot sun and humidity are the real problems. Good to hear that you've had such success in the cold.
I'm going to do another test having changed batteries and see if the firmware update did help.
Bruce Yarock
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:49 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I've put mine through hell an back. Africa, jungles, volcanos, salt water, volcanic gases etc!! I shoot mainly in high heat, dusty, humid, cold, and environments where I hike through jungles for days with it either over my shoulder or in a backpack (not the kind made for the camera). It's held up well.

Used to use canon video camera, and they would go in the shop after every use. Switch to Panasonic P2 cameras, did not have a problem at all for three years. I bought a 7d for shooting time-lapse, but field tested it, and like it better then my Panasonics, so it became my everyday use. I shoot about 1000-3000 pictures a day and about 2 hours of video. I'm shooting an entire 10 part Africa series on it.

I get teased occasionally by BBC and others. Simon King (BBC Presenter/DOP) apparently told a group of people that he shoots with real camera equipment. But when lugging it up 5000-6000 meter Mountains and for several days in the jungles, I love it! I've managed to sell my series to the big boys, so who cares what people think.

Michael
Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:07 AM   #23
Trustee

I'm shooting outside this week end and a music video next week end in the hot South Florida sun. Looking forward to seeing how much the overheating issue comes into play, now that I've installed the new firmware.
michael- have you had any overheating issues?
Bruce Yarock
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I have found that one of the simplest ways to keep the camera running during a shoot is to just bring a small cooler with some ice packs in it and a large ziplock bag to prevent condensation. Whenever I have a break in the shoot for more than a minute or two I'll put the cam in the bag in the cooler. Works great, though a few people have given me odd looks...

You could probably also just use a large, flexible ice pack and put it directly on top of the camera or something. I didn't have anything like that lying around the house so I went the cooler route.

Supposedly RED shoots often use ice packs.
Jesse Haycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #25
Regular Crew

How do you abuse your 7d?

Hi everyone,
I'm shooting nature video & stills in Florida. No overheating problems yet and still using the old firmware. Mostly I shoot short clips of 30 sec to 1 minute, so this probably explains it. The main reason for the short clips is that I focus and compose through the viewfinder as if taking a still shot, setting exposure manually. Then switch to video mode and use a remote Canon RC1 from my 10D days to start/stop the video. If I get the focus wrong I only lose a 30 sec clip instead of the whole shoot. Cheap insurance.

Here's the abuse from this am:
I was shooting a pair of woodpeckers in a tree at dawn doing microphone tests. The sun was behind a cloud and the camera was pointing directly at where the sun would have been. I took the CF card inside and listened to the audio. When I went back outside the full sun was blazing directly down the barrel of the 100-400 lens at full extension. Wow. I would never allow that intentionally and have always been very aware of the damage that could cause. Then went to a local park and shot some Swallow Tail Kites in a tree, both still and video. Perfect. Sorry 7D and thank you for forgiving me, I promise not to do that again.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD