How do you abuse your 7D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How do you abuse your 7D?

I started a thread in the T2i forum wondering why so many people seem to make an issue of the T2i's build quality compared with the 7D and 5D?

My point was that I don't abuse my cameras, so the T2i's build quality is more than adequate for me (and I shoot in a LOT of conditions, outdoors). I further supported my point with the case of my 6-year-old consumer-level Canon Powershot S2. It's about as "plastic-y" as they come...and yet I've shot 50K+ images on that camera over the years, in rainstorms, snowstorms, hauled it for hundreds of miles down bumpy dirt roads on my motorcycle, and even dropped it a couple times...and it's never broken and works perfectly. And its build quality is NOT as good as the T2i.

So I'm wondering...how many of you regularly abuse your 7D's? It may sound like a snarky question, but it's honestly not intended as such. I'm really curious how often 7D and 5D owners leave their cameras out in the rain, drop them in the mud, beat them against walls, etc?

It just seems to me that the all-metal "superiority" claim is a bit weak...

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Sometimes I take the 7D underwater to around 130 feet... does that count?

But you can't compare a 7D with a 1D either... the 7D is like a toy next to a 1D.. :-)
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Major Player

1 hour+ in pouring rain with a slightly covered 50mm/1.4:)
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It's not just build quality, the iso on the T2i miss the 160 iso and multiples of 160 that seem to be less digital noise than the non 160 iso levels. T2i only has one processing engine instead of two on the 7D and for us with big hands the T2i is a little small, it's less in weight so you miss out on some of the stability that comes with extra weight.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #5
New Boot

I do lots of nature photography so my 7D sees lots of rain, snow, heat, humidity, sand, dirt, and whatever else mother nature brings about.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Major Player

If you shoot outside for any extended period of time you'll appreciate the build quality. If you're only filming indoors in a clean room, then yeah it's not an issue.
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Mike Calla, if you actually let your camera get poured rain on for an hour and it was fine...then I'm impressed...though in that situation, I think Canon should market the 7D as (seriously) being waterproof. I admit I would NOT do that wth my T2i...but I wouldn't do that with if a 7D if I had one either!

As for general outdoors shooting, I've spent lots of time outdoors—in all kinds of conditions—with cameras of lesser build quality than my T2i and never had an issue.

Again, I'm not doubting the ruggedness of the 7D/5D...just suggesting that the T2i isn't the delicate, fragile, easily broken camera everyone seems to make it out to be.

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:21 PM   #8
New Boot

Justifying purchasing the 7D over the t2i was simple for me because of the benefits of ISO settings. Sometimes, especially if your working without external lights, these extra ISO's are crucial. Build quality was another strong point, because I shoot and plan to shoot mostly outside. To be more specific on how I abuse the 7D, I recently shot outside for a day with sand flying around everywhere (by a pond). I also shot recently outside with firework smoke/cigar smoke everywhere. I feel like if your going to really use camera alot, and you plan on using it for a long time and want it to really last, the 7D is just the better option.
Gary Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Shoot in the rain forest all the time. Lot's of rain, bugs, mud, mold, and fungus. Holds up spectacular especially with 70-200L. Tank!
Sylus Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:33 PM   #10
Major Player

I have T1i and 7D and you can clearly see that 7D is ready for everything :-) A friend of mine (a photographer) is using 5D and he did TTD session in the ocean where he himself went into the water with the camera up to his chest - camera never stopped working :-)
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:55 AM   #11
Trustee

I haven't really used my 7D in challenging weather ( except for South Florida sun). I did have continuous overheating on several shoots; one was out in the hot sun, another was an all day shoot in air conditioning, and yesterday in a green screen studio. I only ran the camera for a couple of hours, shutting down after each take, and the overheatring wa really a pain.
I love the image it produces, but the overheating is just one of the many ergonomic pains in the ass.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:02 PM   #12
Major Player

I actually posted here one day after canceling a shoot because it was raining...later that day i was researching ways to DIY a rain jacket and came a across a chap on the net who was using his 7D in extreme conditions... i found out that my 7D is weather resistant so i gave it shot! No probs. done it few times now!
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:36 AM   #13
Inner Circle

A few months ago I shot with my 7D in the Arctic at -40C below (actually I think it's also -40F below too as this is where the two scales converge, as I recall). Thing froze over completely with a film of ice within a few minutes each time I got the 7D out (including the lens front - which does n't help with the clarity of your pictures/video as you can imagine!) It all continued to work flawlessly (electronically) otherwise - and still does. The 7D is built like a tank and that's just the way I like it!
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #14
Trustee

Mine fell off a picnic table onto concrete last night. Still worked, nothing but a few little "character" scratches.
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #15
Regular Crew

There's no question the 7D/5D are tough cameras...but for anyone who doubts the Rebel series are "pu$$y" cameras...check this post out...
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ml#post1529905

This guy drove off with his Rebel on the roof of the car...it flew off at 35mph, hit the asphalt hard, tore off the lens...but the body was fine—he used it for another 2 years. Pretty good confirmation that the lowly Rebel line can take some abuse too! :-)

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD