Which Kit to buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:04 AM   #1
New Boot

Which Kit to buy?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to DSLR's and have decided on the 550D (T2i) as my first. The reason I have chosen this camera is because of it's video capabilities and as well the price. In Australia, they're considerably more expensive...but I suppose that's the price you pay for living somewhere so isolated from the rest of the world :D

Anyways, back to business. I am almost at the stage where I am ready to purchase, however I'm a little confused as to what kit would be most suitable for me.

I intend to make the most of this camera's video performance, however I will also be doing a diploma in photography next year, so that will affect my decision as well (I'd want a decent enough lens for the course as well). I have about $2000 to spend on the camera and lens alone (I have more money reserved for memory cards, bag, lens filter etc). I am just wanting your input on which you feel would be the best choice.

My options so far are:

Twin Lens Kit - $1550:
- EFS 18-55 mm
- EFS 55-250mm
(leaving me enough money to purchase the Sigma 30mm 1.4)

Premium Kit - $2050
- IS 18-200mm
(blowing all my money)

Custom Sigma Kit $1700
- 550D Body only ($1200)
- Sigma 18-200 mm ($500)
(leaving me with a little to put towards the Sigma 30mm 1.4)

Please feel free to reccomend any other options which you feel might be even more suitable, these are just the ones I have researched so far.
Andrew Hardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Major Player

I would recommend one of two things here...

1. Get the two lens kit for $1550, and get the Sigma prime.

2. Just buy the camera body-only, no kit, and get the Sigma prime + a nice wide angle zoom (like this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554035-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXC_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html)

I originally got my T2i with the 18-55mm kit lens, which is fine as far as that goes, but once I popped on my Sigma 15-30mm (sadly now discontinued), the kit lens hasn't come back out of it's bag!! I would rather have just a few quality lenses that I really do use than some kit stuff that I used once or twice then retired for something better.

If you can, go to the shop and try as many different lenses on the T2i body as possible, and see which ones you like the most.
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #3
New Boot

Bryan, thank you for your reply.

So would a lens such as the Tonkina be sufficient for when I do my photography course next year?
Andrew Hardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Major Player

That question would best be answered by checking out the course requirements, if they have specific requirements they should let you know!
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #5
New Boot

Buying the right "kit"

After buying my kit which was the body plus the 18 to 135 F3.5, I would say that IF you have the money, my preference would have been this...

Body + EF-S 17-55mm F2.8

While more expensive, none of the kit lens are specacular. Just average glass and mounts. While the 135 I bought is good, it has already done some decent footage, it doesn't have a distance calibration for the focus. If you do videos this is really important, and I highly recommend the 15-55 F2.8

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens Review

But it all depends on what you are usually shooting!
Alf Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Andrew, your best bet with zoom lenses for video is to buy fast, constant aperture zooms. I would shy away from the slow variable aperture lenses (f4.5-5.6 and such) for video, since they will let you down when you decide to zoom while recording. I know quality glass is more expensive from the get go but having to buy a lens range twice is even more costly in the long run. Also, the cheap consumer lenses don't hold their value nearly as well and you are left losing even more $ if you decide to upgrade in the future.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:36 AM   #7
Major Player

The guys are right, you need fast lenses for video. Where I slightly disagree is that the first thing to do is start with a couple of fast primes, possibly second hand manual focus. A 28mm f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.8 should get you started.

Personally I can't imagine wanting to zoom while in shot, and if you accept the inconvenience of changing lenses, you get better value investing in primes in my opinion.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Question for you James, why don't you buy the camera from B&H, an extremely reputable dealer here in the states, for $899; and have them ship it to you?
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Canon 50mm 1.8

Don't forget the Canon 50mm 1.8. It costs very little money but produces great results!!
Kenneth Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Lee Gordon View Post
Question for you James, why don't you buy the camera from B&H, an extremely reputable dealer here in the states, for $899; and have them ship it to you?
I'm worried about warranty, would it be void in Australia?

- Andrew
Andrew Hardman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD