Equiping myself for a trip to Brazil. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Equiping myself for a trip to Brazil.

Hello! I will be venturing to Brazil in less than 13 days and am trying to equip myself with what I need to be prepared for a documentary style film. I was offered the opertunity to do a documentary film about the Brazilian studies program at my university and want to film it with the T2i.

My concerns are sound and storage. Currently I have in my posession a Juiced link C231 and a Audio Technica 875R condensor mic. However I don't have anything to mount that mic to the camera and I suppose I need the adapter that JuicedLink sells that allows my C231 to comunicate with the T2i. What can I get that allows me to put my mic on my camera?

Storage: I will be down there for two months with no laptop to dump footage. I do however have an external Hard Drive that I might be able to hook to my friend's computer and store footage too but I wanted to ask what people thought would be the best way to go about that. What sort of memory cards should I get?

If I am over looking anything please let me know!

Thanks,
Terry.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

For storage I have one of these -

You can fit your own hdd to keep the cost down, I got the 120Gb one and fitted a 500Gb drive.

I've only used it a few times so can't speak for reliability but it seems good so far.
Jon Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #3
Major Player

That thing is awesome.. it stores whatever files you have on your SD card?

As for SD cards..What are people leaning toward? I am looking at this one:

I am probably going to get two of these SD cards and bring my external and use my friend's computer to transfer the footage to the external. Sound like a good idea? I gotta ask because things always sound like a good idea until they go down hill on you and in my case I can't just go back home and get what I needed haha.
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Major Player

Maybe I should highlight my question for other readers: I am concerned about storing my footage while I am in Brazil and am hoping that I can use a friend's laptop to transfer footage from my camera to my 1TB external hard drive. Is that possible without any sort of editing software?

I want to be able to bring the footage back and put it on my computer where I can run it through NeoScene to remove the pulldown. Is my logic on this work flow correct or will I run into some problems?

Thanks!!
Terry.
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Major Player

The files the T2i records are files just like any other. You can move them around, transfer them, whatever, without an NLE in the mix.
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Major Player

Bryan, this is great news! I have never edited any footage that hasn't been recorded to tape so I thought that the footage needed to be rendered through NeoScene before throwing it in my external hard drive. This could also probably be done with tape and I just don't know it due to lack of experience in the editing room :D

My only other concern is this. I need a way to mount my AT875R to my T2i (i'm supposing I need a hot shoe mount and a small XLR cable?). I just bought a JuicedLink DN101.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Major Player

You just need a short XLR cable and this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554681-REG/Pearstone_DUSM_1_DUSM_1_Universal_Shockmount_for.html
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Bryan. That what I am looking for. Now all I need is a short right angled XLR cable to hook from my mic to the preamp.
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
That thing is awesome.. it stores whatever files you have on your SD card?

As for SD cards..What are people leaning toward? I am looking at this one: Amazon.com: Delkin Pro - Flash memory card - 16 GB - Class 6 - SDHC: Electronics

I am probably going to get two of these SD cards and bring my external and use my friend's computer to transfer the footage to the external. Sound like a good idea? I gotta ask because things always sound like a good idea until they go down hill on you and in my case I can't just go back home and get what I needed haha.
Yes, it either copies or moves any files from various cards to HD.

If you are going to be copying files to external HD via someones laptop then if you can afford it get two and copy to both. You wouldn't want a disk failure and lose everything. That was one of the good things about tape.
Jon Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Terry,
consider a MobileMe or DropBox membership, and upload all your footage to the cloud. I was in Costa Rica in January and backed up all my footage and photos, to both a Dell Mini 10 and an external drive, then had everything (laptops and external drives) stolen. If it's in the cloud, no one can steal it....
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:31 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Brickert View Post
If it's in the cloud, no one can steal it....
Depends on how you look at it, really... If it's in the cloud, it's accessible to a heck of a lot of people... :)
Old June 1st, 2010, 03:14 PM   #12
Major Player

Great idea. Thanks for letting me know!

I currently have everything (I think) I will need.

T2i
2x 16GB Class 6 cards
3x Battaries
Juicedlink CX231 + DN101 and 4 9V battaries
AT875R Mic
28mm Nikon lens
Tripod
1TB External HD

I guess i'm set haha...
Terry Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD