SD Card and Case and Tripod help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #1
New Boot

SD Card and Case and Tripod help!

Hey All! My first post here. So I just bought a T2i to help me with my practice (dentist) and also to have for family videos. I found out the hard way that 16gb class 2 will not work. :) I also bought a case and tripod...and didn't like either of those, so I took it all back and am starting from scratch again. By the way, LOVE the T2i!! My last SLR was a Nikon N90S, so this is a huge step up!
Anyway, I could really use some suggestions for: where I can get the cheapest 16GB class 6 card, a nice tripod that isn't too bulky, and a nice bag. I know the bag is personal taste, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask. I have seen the sling Lowepro and thought that was pretty nice. Anyway, well thanks for your help and take care.
Charles Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Charles, welcome to DV Info Net. I don't think you want the "cheapest" 16GB class 6 card -- that could be asking for trouble. Most likely you're looking for the best value, which doesn't always mean it's the least expensive. See these threads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...lass-10-a.html
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ory-cards.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #3
New Boot

You are absolutely right. Sorry about the poor wording. Best value is more like it. Thanks
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #5
New Boot

So i am thinking of going with the sandisk 16gb. Is there a big difference between the 20mb/sec vs the 30mb/s? anyone have any pros vs cons to this card? thanks
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #6
New Boot

can anyone help?
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I think that Sandisk 30mb edition is the best option for the 45mbit streams of 550D.I haven't bought it yet but I am sure this will be awesome. Both my Verbatim and Silicon are good for capturing some minutes but sooner or later they stop.
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bray View Post
So i am thinking of going with the sandisk 16gb. Is there a big difference between the 20mb/sec vs the 30mb/s? anyone have any pros vs cons to this card? thanks
Either will do.
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #9
Major Player

I recommend you buy the most expensive card you can get, probably will save you money and headache in the long run, Hoodman Raw for your SD card and Tamron for your bag, Lowepro is fine too back when I was selling them, I have a Tamron for 16 years now and it is still in good shape, you might want to do more research with the tripod but you want one that has fluid head and counter balance that will match the weight of your camera.
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #10
New Boot

can anyone give a good pros/cons of which card to buy? I have one person say either will do, and the other saying to buy the most expensive one I can find. Thanks
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Major Player

We can only give the pros and cons of any brand of cards that we use on a regular basis. My personal opinion is, if you like to spend money, buy the most expensive card you can find. I pesonally have never had any problems whatsoever using Transcend class 6 or 10 cards, with my EX1 or 550D, others will say they have had problems using the same cards.
The current favourite, high performance SDHC that is favoured by EX1 owners is the ATP Promax class 6, and soon to be class 10 SDHC. There are lots of threads here relating to the different cards available. As I said above, there is little to choose between the Sandisk 20 and 30 mbs cards, both will get the job done.
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #12
New Boot

Ok thanks for all your help. I went ahead and got the 16gb. Now can anyone recommend a good lightweight tripod that would fold down pretty small so I can carry it? I would like to stay around $50-100. Thanks
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #13
New Boot

bump for more help.thanks
Old May 29th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #14
Major Player

Charles. It depends on the intended use, ie video or stills. A good in between choice would be the Velbon range. The D700 offers a reasonable fluid type head, which should be more than adequate for a 550D. You can spend a lot of money on a fluid head, but used carefully the Velbon should be up to the job. If you get the chance, take your camera along to a dealer and try it out on various models.
Old May 29th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #15
Major Player

IMHO, Skip the class 6 cards. Prices have dropped so low that they affordable class 10 cards(no red alert bar!).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD