DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   simple way to mount hoodloupe on T2i (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/479509-simple-way-mount-hoodloupe-t2i.html)

Leonard Levy May 27th, 2010 12:22 PM

simple way to mount hoodloupe on T2i

I found a cheap and flexible way to attach my hoodloupe to the Canon T2i.

I already use giottos sliding quick releases on a number of different platforms like my tripod, a monopod for handheld and another head I use on a slider. With the same quick release for all three I can quickly move the camera between them.

I noticed that with the Giottos sliding plate on my Canon, the hoodloupe sits snugly right on it up against the LCD. So I tapped a 1/4-20 hole in the hoodman in the appropriate spot and added a second 1/4-20 screw to the plate. Bingo! It’s a perfect mounting system and easy to remove.

To be sure I don’t have light leaks I added just one loop from the Hoodman cinestrap and ran it around the flash housing. Then so I could quickly remove the hoodloupe I found some 1/4-20 screws that you can grab with your fingers so you don’t require a screwdriver all the time.

I don’t know if the tapped hole in the hoodman will last though. Its just plastic so I’m careful not to tighten it too much. But so far so good.

With a 5D or a 7D the hoodloupe wouldn’t sit on the plate. So you would need to make a little plastic or metal shim that you could screw into the hoodman with small screws, then tap the 1/4-20 hole into that. Still would be pretty simple and flexible.

I used the Giottos but on the T2i that sliding plate covers the battery compartment so you might be better with a Manfrotto 577/501PL type sliding release plate as its narrower. Though with a shorter plate (Manfrotto or Giottos) you would need to extend the channel in the plate to make it long enough to reach the hoodloupe.

It’s hard to find hand tighten-able screws though. If anyone is interested drop me an email as I did find them through the Giottos distributor.

You can't use it with the pistol grip though so that's one area where the Hoodman crane is still the best way to go. Also use the crane if you don't want to be taking the loupe on and off all the time.

By the way I don't have a zacuto to compare with but for my money the houdeloupe 3.0 with the new Mag eyepiece is more than adaquate for judging focus with the Canons. No vignetting and bright sharp image with diopter adjustment - its great. On a side note if you add the little hoodriser attachment it works great on an EX-1 as well. In fact on the EX1 I prefer it to an EX3 viewfinder because the color peaking function doesn't work well on the EX3 while its very effectivee on an EX1.

Leonard Levy May 27th, 2010 12:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some photos of the rig