Field Back-up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 30th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Field Back-up

I'm looking for a better and more convenient field back-up solution.

Currently I'm using a 17 inch Apple lap-top and copying the CF cards to two Lacie Rugged drives, one travels with me and one my producer. Not only is this an expensive way to back-up in the field, but it is also cumbersome to carry around the extra gear.

I was wondering what everyone else is doing and if anyone has a lightweight, mobile and fast back-up solution.
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Liam,
I've heard about the Nexto
http://www.itechdiary.com/nexto-extr...t-computer.htm

and the hyperdrive, but don't know anyone with either.
Let us know what you find out.
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have this small portable drive that has a battery and charger unit PicPac - **NEW** 80GB Digital Camera and Camcorder Portable Backup: Wolverine Data

Also I have a lot of memory cards, if it is a long trip, then I have to take a set up like yours.

I got my Wolverine from Costco online a couple of years ago.
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Nexto NVS-2500

I've got the Nexto Video Storage Pro, and it's my field-offloading workhorse. Though I haven't used it for this, you can apparently connect a USB drive TO the unit and offload one card to both the Nexto and the USB-connected drive at the same time.

(From the NEXTODi site)…

• (USB host) function. (With this feature, if a memory card is inserted to a

Nexto, the data is copied to the internal built-in hard drive and an external

hard drive which is plugged into the Nexto using a USB cable).

EDIT: So I just fired up my NEXTO and simultaneously copied 20GB worth of 7D footage to both the internal NEXTO drive and a USB connected Iomega drive I had sitting around. So, for light-weight field backup/offload, this should have you covered.
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Major Player

I've seen the Nexto, it looks a well featured product and I'd be tempted if it had a solid state drive, but ultimately I think it's overpriced for what it is.

What's everyone else doing for field back-up?
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

A netbook.
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Major Player

I know diddly about netbooks, but wondered if someone would mention them. Is there a netbook with firewire or eSata?

Last edited by Liam Hall; June 1st, 2010 at 01:16 AM.
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM   #8
New Boot

Netbooks are basic laptops with low end processors, video, etc. Usually enough to perform the most basic needs. Don't be expecting to edit/process high end videos or play high end games with them.

Therefore, you will not be able to find a netbook with an external firewire or esata connection. Usually only USB. There are regular laptops, that do contain firewire and/or esata connections and are as small as a netbook. Netbooks are just cheaper, since they are basic, compared to a regular laptop.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:00 PM   #9
Major Player

I use the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA, and it works well for downloading in the field. I can download 30gigs in about 10min's. What I like about the Hyperdrive, is that it's designed to be user upgradeable, so you can easily swap out the HD for another. That's likely what I'm going to do when I go on a month long trip, carry one Hyperdrive, notebook, and several 500 or 640gig 2.5in HD's.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:51 AM   #10
Trustee

I have a dell laptop that' about 5 years old, but it has firwire also. I never use it, but was thinking that it would be a good option for field back up. The only problem is that the internal drive is small, so I'd have to either replace the drive with something bigger, or also bring alsong an external drive. Then I'd be carrying more gear...Are there any drives that don't need ac power?
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:21 AM   #11
Major Player

Bruce, the Lacie rugged drives are bus powered, so will work fine with firewire.

So, for non laptop solutions the Nexto and the Hyperdrive seem to be the only contenders. I can see the benefits of both, but would like to compare options with smallest laptop that has firewire.

Anyone, know a good small firewire enabled laptop?
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM   #12
Major Player

I'm using a netbook and a couple portable usb powered hard drives. Seems like the biggest bang for the buck, I do like that the netbook will run forever on the battery. Most DITs I see are going the Mac laptop and 2 usb hard drives route as well - great for reviewing footage but it is a bit spendy.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:43 PM   #13
Trustee

Will the Netbook play the clips for review?

Or do you use it strictly for backing up files?

What kind of Netbook is it?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:56 PM   #14
Major Player

It's a little Toshiba with the big battery, will run about 9 hours. Playback of the raw Canon files is pretty horrible but you can see something :) It's mostly just to confirm the files and execute the back up. Battery life, small size and low cost were my main goals.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #15
Contributor

A netbook is fine for field backup if that's all you want to do. I use my ancient iBook to load footage to a portable USB drive. If you want playback then you need a MacBook Pro or something like that. Liam, why are you concerned with firewire for field backup?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD