Pelican Case Suggestion Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 31st, 2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Pelican Case Suggestion Please

I've outgrown my Lowepro rolling backpack for my 7D gear. I am now looking for a hard, weatherproof case for storing and transport all my items. Any suggestions? All that I've found don't seem quite big enough... It doesn't have to be Pelican, as I'm using that as more of a generic term. I have the following Canon lenses now:

50mm f/1.8
100mm f/2.8 L Macro
28-70mm f/2.8
10-22mm
28-135 kit lens (probably selling now)
17-55mm f/2.8
100-400mm L f/4.8-?
70-200mm f/2.8 L
also a couple extenders, tubes, faderND filters, other filters, blower, followfocus gear, batteries, chargers, etc.

Also I'm eying a 5Dmk2 body also, so I'd need to plan to throw that in there. Also maybe some expansion for a few more future lenses--say at least 3 or 4 L primes (that's what I"m saying for now! HA!).

I need plenty of space for SD cards, Zoom h4, clapper, lav mics, etc. Right now I have it spread out over several different boxes, backpacks, but I'd like to be able to just grab the whole case and go if need be. So big is good. I don't need it to be a carry-on, as I'd just throw what I need in the old backpack for that.

Rolling wheels are a must. I like the dividers (like these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/200020-REG/Pelican_1610_024_110_1614_Waterproof_1610_Case.html) as opposed to the pinch out foam. I'm thinking double decker maybe?

Thanks guys!
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Do you need to be able to fly with your case as a carry-on? The Pelican 1510 is a little smaller (I think), but it fits international carry-on restrictions.

Do you really need a Pelican? The case is awesome (I have one for my JVC HM700), but they do look delightfully high-tech and thievable. Might not be an issue for the environments you work in, but I prefer to keep my run-and-gun kit in baby formula bags. They're well-padded and insulated, and they don't look like they're holding anything valuable.

Edit: ah, I see you don't need it as a carry-on. carry on. must sleep.
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Trustee

pehaps you need to consider 2 smaller cases : one for glass & filters, another one for the body, ONE lens, and support items for the camera.

you'll get a lot more into the cases if you go with dividers then foam. the pre punched foam they put in the cases is krappe. it eventually with use comes apart. so if you make it too thin ( 2-3 sections ) it falls apart pretty quick. if you make it thicker (4-6 sections ) then you use like 50% of the space in the case, the rest filled with foam. now that might make sense if you fly a lot and it check it in. me I hand carry all cameras. if you plan to have the gear really bounced around, the foam is good.

I have a 1620 case which is huge. built in wheels and handle. you could get all your stuff in there with some space leftover, but it will be heavy. 2 smaller lighter cases will travel much nicer.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Contributor

I just got this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330237-REG/Pelican_1510_004_110_1514_Carry_On_1510.html
You can get the same case with pluck foam if you like that better than the dividers. There's also a lid organizer (about $29 extra) with half a dozen or so zipper pockets for filters, etc. Lots of room, and it fits in airline carry-on. It's a heavy sucker, but has wheels and a handle that slides in and locks securely.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Bill, Just checked out that pelican case. Liked it so much I think I have to pick it up. Lloyd, you can't go wrong with pelican cases! They're built like tanks. Lifetime warranty.
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #6
Major Player

I don't think it is a good idea to pack everything in one case. Anyway, take a look at Tenba cases they're excellent.
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #7
Trustee

My preference would be Storm Cases over Pelican, as the latch system is better on the Storm Case.
Also Liam brings up a good point about using multiple cases. My lens selection is fairly stout, and would be very heavy if confined to a large single case.
Dividing my lenses into multiple Storm cases makes handling them much more manageable.

All the Best!
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Second vote for Storm over Pelican. My EX-1 rides in a Storm and I much prefer the latches on it to those on my 2 Pelicans.

Don't go too big. I have a 1600 series Peli and it is a bear to hump into the back of an SUV when fully loaded. It may have wheels but you'll have to pick it up sooner or later.

Even though I have hard cases, 85% of the time my gear is in a backpack unless I plan on shipping it or encountering inclement weather.
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #9
Contributor

I have some Pelican cases dating back to the '70s. Can't break them. Just recently we got some big ones for lights, tripod, stands, etc. I got one of those 1630s, which, as noted, is really big and heavy. Also got a 1690 but returned it it was .03" over the 80" total limit some airlines what to charge you even more for. I figured they'd nail me for that .03". Also, it was really bigger than I needed. Have ordered one of their deep square ones for my LED lights, and an additional 1600 for more lenses, Cavision rods system, follow focus, etc.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD