DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   tripod for long lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/479761-tripod-long-lenses.html)

Mauricio Copetti June 1st, 2010 11:46 PM

tripod for long lenses

Hello,

Actually I'm using a Manfrotto 516 fro most of my job, but for 400mm (or +1.4X ext.) lens it's almoust impossible to handle the shakes...

I want to buy a better tripod and the suggestions was a Secced Atlas 11. But veru expensive: $5900

Do you think that a lower Atlas series (5 to11) would hold my movements firmly? Which one? Any owner suggestion? Or other different option?

thanks

Lloyd Ubshura June 3rd, 2010 09:57 PM

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I'm looking for the same info myself. :) Hope someone can chime in.

John Wiley June 3rd, 2010 11:50 PM

Do you have the lens properly supported on the camera? ie are you using a tripod collar or rail support system at all? Because that can have a huge effect on the overall steadiness of the rig. Also, I don't know how much your 400mm lens weighs but if you don't have alot of other stuff mounted, your whole setup may even be lighter than is ideal your current tripod.

At 900mm (400 x 1.6 [crop factor] x 1.4 [extender]) Things shouldn't be too extreme on a tripod. My FX7 goes close to that length and has no problems with wobbles even on my lowly Libec TH-650. And a fully kitted out 7d shouldn't be more than the Manfrotto 516 can handle, so my first guess would be that your problem is somewhere else in the setup.

I could be completely wrong, but personally I would explore other possibilites before dropping nearly $6000 on a new tripod for a $2000 camera. You also might want to check out the UWOL section of this forum because there's quite a few people there using lenses in the 600mm range and more. They will be able to tell you how they keep their shots steady at really long focal lenghts.

Steve Oakley June 4th, 2010 06:40 PM

you want a tripod with dual tube legs - they are more rigid and don't torque / twist like single tube legs do. a better head is in order, and any satchler / vinten / cartoni should do once you leave the lowest end models.

you may find you need to add mass to the head because your setup is too light. adding mass will also absorb vibration ( body at rest tends to stay at rest... ). that might mean getting a 5-10lb peice of steel drilled and threaded to sit between the head and the camera. adding a mount to the top of it, there are a number of suitable quick releases as long as they can clamp tight and not become part of the problem. I'd expect you are looking at more like $2k for a video head and decent legs for what you want to do. there is a reason they use those massive tripods and heads for broadcast TV - picture a 30-40lbs lens @ 800mm + 2X extender + video camera body, + lens controls. thats what it takes. the 400mm isn't that heavy, and the problem may in fact be not enough mass to properly load the head for its operating range.

Mauricio Copetti June 12th, 2010 03:50 PM

thanks,

But any of you have tried the Secceed tripod? I was think of buying am Atlas 11, but the price... any other good one wit lower price?