Affordable DSLR rig? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 4th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Affordable DSLR rig?

I'm planning on purchasing a 7D in the next couple months I had a question.

The Zacuto gear is a bit pricey for me after purchasing the 7D, some of the Cinevate gear is affordable though. Is there anything remotely affordable?

What would be the best to pick up?
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Try out indi system products.

indiSYSTEM - Home
Sylus Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Redrock Micro has some good stuff too. Redrock Micro: Create the Cinema Experience
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

the Redrock stuff is too expensive for me looks like indisystem is the route im going
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Contributor

Their stuff is good and reasonably priced. I have a Cavision rods support system, with handles and shoulder mount; got it before I knew of Indysystem. I think I have around $350 in it. Plus a bracket with handle from marksphototools.com. I'm ordering a Cavision follow focus tomorrow, getting the ring gears from Redrock
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Jag35 has some well-priced stuff. This shoulder mount looks nice but I haven't tried it (much cheaper than Redrock, Zacuto, etc):

Full Shoulder Rig | Jag35.com
Jesse Haycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #7
Contributor

Yeah, I forgot about them. I like their cage too. It's $149, which may sound high till you see the letusdirect.com version for $700.
Old June 6th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Major Player

I actually have the Redrockmicro Field Bundle. I like it a lot, but now I'm about to purchase something a little smaller and more manageable.

HandySLR
handy FILMTOOLS

I'm pretty sold on anything that looks clean and gets it back to an XL2 form factor.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:54 AM   #9
New Boot

Agree, I'll go for handySLR too. I used Cavision before, but changed to HandySLR and loved it.
Cavision's rail system are good price, come with viewfinder, good value, but the quality is not as good.
I only got it coz didn't have much budget after purchased 7D :p, a bit like you. But I like Cavision follow focus, well built, lighter than RR's, but have to choose the lens gear carefully, coz they use .6, which is not industry standard, won't compatible with others.

Indie's stuff look great in the pics, but won't be what you expected when you open the box due to my personal experience. There is another company from India, called Proaim, can be found on ebay, cheap stuff as well, but the unit might be a little bit heavier.

(DSL-170 + upgread silicon pad) - eBay (item 250654805546 end time Jul-21-10 10:11:13 PDT)
G-170S-DH dslr rig 50% Sale - eBay (item 320551832511 end time Jun-24-10 01:08:10 PDT)
Both very similar to Zacuto, but lot cheaper.

CPM is also a very cheap and nice look/compact unit.
CPM Film Tools - camera rail systems

I guess at the end of the day, it really depends on what you are shooting really, what sort of works you do. If you like CPM, the special price only available till end of July.
And if you are not too fuss about viewfinder/loupe thing, HandySLR is the one to go, and free DHL delivery worldwide now, not sure when the promotion finishes.

And you might be able to find some discount coupons online as well, Coupon codes and discounts for 50,000 online stores! RetailMeNot.com is the one I found for my HandySLR.

Good luck.
Chih-Kuang Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:04 AM   #10
Contributor

The Cavision follow focus is compatible with other ring gears. I'm ordering ring gears from Redrock. A friend has the Cavision and is using the Jag 35 gears. You can get the Cavision with the cine gear, which is the industry standard, or the Canon or Fuji, I think, which are not standard with all gears.
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #11
New Boot

Yup, that's correct.
I mean the ring gear from Cavision only available in .6. And that won't compatible with other FF unit.
Thanks for the heads up. Cheers
Chih-Kuang Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I've just purchased a kit from INDIKIT which looks pretty good
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylus Harrington View Post
Try out indi system products.

indiSYSTEM - Home
I'm pretty happy with my Indisystems stuff.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Has anyone used the handySLR with a zfinder?

Also, would love to see some walking footage shot with one, if anyone has links.
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #15
New Boot

I don't think you can use Z-finder with HandySLR, coz the camera position is not infront of your eyes.
And I personally use monitor more nowaday, rarely use viewfinder at all.
Heard Zacuto is gonna release a new accessory for Z-finder, which is "gonna change the way you use DSLRs", I assume it's something you can title the Z-finder up can down.
Chih-Kuang Tu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD