WHat LCD viewer do you have and why? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 7th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

WHat LCD viewer do you have and why?

I am tired of trying to shoot video without having an LCD viewer on my 7D. I need to buy one, but don't want to spend a great deal of money. I see that Hoodman has a reasonably priced unit but before I buy, I thought I would ask you guys what you use and why you like it. Thanks in advance.

Phil Hanna
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Check out the LCDVF. High quality build with a magnetic mount, pretty much the same thing as the much more expensive Z-Finder but without the ridiculous price (and no diopter).

LCDVF (beta)
Jesse Haycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Major Player

I finally got to actually physically try the LCDVF and the Z-Finder at a convention last week. Both felt excellent, the Z-Finder felt a little more robust, but I was surprised at how strong the LCDVF was. I expected it to feel a little flimsy, but it was great.

And I'm a big fan of the magnetic mounting system. So I went with the LCDVF.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

For $100 you can get a Hoodman Loupe and stick it to a LCD protector sold on eBay, I did. I finally found on of those cheap Chinese LCD protectors for my 7D! Seems to work great.
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Major Player

I thought that solution only worked with the 5D. Can you post a link to the protector you found for the 7D? I always liked what they did with that 5D protector.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi

I use a broadcast viewfinder.
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #7
Regular Crew

If you're on a budget the options don't get any cheaper than these. A pair of reading glasses.

I got a pair that were 3X. Much stronger than what I need in real life but they are for using the 7D only. Gives me the flexibility of not needing the cam up to my eye. I can be at more comfortable angles to view the screen.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #8
New Boot

Hoodman Hoodloupe with the Redrock loupe attachment. DO NOT pay the extra bucks for the Hoodman Cinema Straps. They are crappy glorified rubberbands that don't hold it in place and will easily snap.
Tiffany McMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #9
New Boot

Hoodman Hoodloupe with the Redrock loupe attachment. DO NOT pay the extra bucks for the Hoodman Cinema Straps. They are crappy glorified rubberbands that don't hold it in place and will easily snap.
Tiffany McMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Major Player

Zacuto Z-finder. Built like a tank, and the frame mounting system has worked very well for me.
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Debord View Post
Hi

I use a broadcast viewfinder.
Gilles, interesting how are you connecting that!?

Today I got the Z-finder pro 3x, looking very good so far. This is the new one with gorilla plate. Very robust system. Note that I´m shooting mostly wildlife and need to do critical focus in daylight and direct sunlight.
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough View Post
I thought that solution only worked with the 5D. Can you post a link to the protector you found for the 7D? I always liked what they did with that 5D protector.
LCD Screen Hood Pop-up Shade Protector for Canon EOS 7D - eBay (item 270582617451 end time Jun-21-10 00:29:50 PDT)
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Contributor

I have the IDCphotography.com Hoodman modification, with the bracket that goes under the camera to hold it on solid as a rock. When Hoodman came out with the 3X magnifying eyepiece, I got that and switched out my old non magnifying eyepiece. If you go to the Hoodman site, they have a new attachment method that's very clever. They call it a crane because it sort of looks like one.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #14
Major Player

i have the LCDVF.
i bought it because of the price.
pros:
it's robust, easy to use, helps focusing a lot, comfortable, price
cons:
no anti fog coating, magnification x2 so i still have to use the focus help button occasionally

conclusion:
i'm very happy with the LCDVF. it fits my budget and does a good job. if i was wealthier i'd buy a zacuto x3 magnification as i'm sure it'd be even better.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Per Joan

To do that and to connect it, i use the connector present on the XL-1 adapter furnished with the FU-1000.
In the little black box there is an adjustable voltage regulator Voltage input between 5V-33.6V Voltage output 3V-13v, you need 9V to power the FU-1000.

The video signal come from the DSLR to a video connector (RCA or BNC)

The power came directly from an outside battery trough a switch, you can see photograph on this link "I do that for my 7D".

The voltage regulator is a Dimension Engineering DE-SWADJ 3A do to sustain 25W (it's necessary to power the FU-1000)

You can equally use an Ikegami viewfinder VF15-45-46 the pinout is a little bit different but i have it.

I send you more information on your website (but in French)

You have the e-mail on your website

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD