Backup camera for my 7D (Canon HV or HF series) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 9th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Backup camera for my 7D (Canon HV or HF series)

I'm considering to buy a HDV camera for a backup of my 7D used on wedding. Last wedding we use 2 7Ds and a HV40, sharp image quality and liking it very much. We don't use it for wedding highlight but might use it for few full-day edit footage.

However a few question I have (I'm not really a camera expert so an input or two would be greatly appreciated!):

1. What is the quality of HF series compared to HV? HF uses HDD which is a big advantage as I hate having to change tape during ceremony.

2. If I'm buying from US (NTSC), using it in Australia (PAL), will I have any problem editing on FCP and combining with my 7D PAL footage? Cost of the camera here in Australia is ridiculously expensive!

I'm still hiring HV40 for backup camera at the moment. But all that money.. I'd rather buy one for myself as price from US is getting affordable.

Cheers,

John
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Major Player

If you want the same look, buy another 7D. If you want a more user friendly camera and you like the look of the HV40, then I'd suggest the XH-A1s....3 chips better color and depth-of picture, XLRs, cine gamma, etc. Here in LA, you can take the A1s down to Canon in Irvine, pay them $500, and they will turn the PAL side on so you'll have both! As for the XFs, in your situation, I don't see the justification to spend the extra money.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Contributor

Sometimes for shooting events you'd want a camera capable of longer runs. If that's the case, I'd vote to stay tapeless and go with the HF. But if what you want is a backup camera, then why not the T2i?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the response.

I dont want a DSLR for my backup camera as I want to leave it alone most of the time (no operator). So I need it AF and obviously more than 12 mins recording time so we dont need to keep reminding ourselves to press record as we are already occupied with our 7Ds. Just in case we miss a footage atleast we have a backup camera recording the whole ceremony.. of course, from a safe/uninterrupted place

Now, XH-A1 is overkill, I have not the budget to afford it. It would be nice.. but It'd mean a whole month of eating cup noodle. :P

I am considering HF series but not sure if the image quality, when mixed with 7D will be atleast acceptable (I know its nowhere comparable). HV seems fine to me but I do prefer tapeless.

Also, I suspect if I buy the camera from US as NTSC, I will have problem as in Austraia its widely PAL sysem.

Cheers,

John
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Canon HFS21 seems very promising..
Josh Fung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD