DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   How do we manage without zoom? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/480356-how-do-we-manage-without-zoom.html)

Bruce S. Yarock June 14th, 2010 05:03 AM

How do we manage without zoom?

Although I love the image, selective focus, interchangable lenses and beautifll look, I'm missing the ability to use occasional zoom. In many of my previous jobs ( weddings, concerts, etc.) I've always had the ability to use ocassional slow zoom. Obviously, these photo lenses are not made for controllable smooth zoom.

I'd like to hear how others feel about this, and how you get around it.
Bruce Yarock

Giroud Francois June 14th, 2010 05:18 AM

i use a tokin 16-50 and can possibly zoom decently

Bob Hart June 14th, 2010 06:25 AM

Gavan O'Sullivan, DP and cinematographer, probably won't mind me taking his name in vain.

He has a 7D and wanted to see how an earlier model Angenieux 25-250 35mm cine lens would look. I got an old and worn specimen off ebay a while back.

We offered it up to the camera but found there would be interference with the mirror from the rear of the lens as it is currently set up (ARRI B mount).

From what we could see it was just so, not an outstanding image but have not given up on the idea just yet. When I get time I may make up a special mount as the rear element in the lens appears that it might be just forward of the 44mm Canon flange and it may be possible to avoid the mirror.

He reminisced about the newer Angenieux HP 25-250 lens he used in more provident times making commercials on film.

Steve Phillipps June 14th, 2010 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock (Post 1538219)
Obviously, these photo lenses are not made for controllable smooth zoom.

Not only that, it would also be extremely unlikely that they would hold focus through the zoom either.
In terms of cinematography, one thing to bear in mind is that a lot of shots which the layman might assume is a zoom will more often than not actually be a tracking shot, with the camera itself moving rather than zooming. This tends to much more pleasing, I assume because while the subject size changes the perspective does not.

I had a chat with a Canon user earlier today who told me he'd spoken to a Canon rep who admitted they had be taken by surprise at the take-up of the 5d mkii for serious video use, and that they wouldn't be making that mistake again - whatever that means?

Steve

Bruce S. Yarock June 14th, 2010 06:43 AM

Steve,
I assumed that you'd have to use the follow focus ( and maybe a focus puller) for this type of shot. Right now, I'll try dollying in and see how that works.
Bruce Yarock

Steve Phillipps June 14th, 2010 06:57 AM

Even then you might struggle. I'm sure it varies a lot with different lenses but from my experience it's not just as straightforward as the lens needing a progressive focus adjustment as it goes up or down the zoom range, instead it may start in focus then go out one way as you zoom in, come into focus again briefly then go out in the other direction again. My Canon 150-600 did this, start in focus, drift out in the mid range and come back in again to almost in focus at the long end. And that's only a 4x relatively simple lens.

Not sure exactly what the situation is, but Panavision and Mitchell 35mm mounts appear to have enough flange distance (57 and 61mm) to allow an adapter to fit them on the 5d (52mm FFD). You'd probably be talking a lot of cash though of course.
Steve

Ryan Mast June 14th, 2010 09:09 AM

I use the LOMO FOTON zoom on my T2i. It's not as pretty as the Angenieux glass, but the way it's designed, it doesn't hit the mirror.

Jon Fairhurst June 14th, 2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1538249)
I had a chat with a Canon user earlier today who told me he'd spoken to a Canon rep who admitted they had be taken by surprise at the take-up of the 5d mkii for serious video use, and that they wouldn't be making that mistake again - whatever that means?

My guess is that they will spec the video features in the next generation of DvSLRs very carefully - and with an appreciation of what videographers want and need. (They might also figure out how to sell us more accessories, based on what we want and need.)

My own prediction is that they will release a 1Ds Mark IV before the end of the year, simply because the Mark III is the last of their previous line that hasn't yet been updated. It will probably become the "best in class" of this generation of DvSLRs. We will probably see the future generation of DvSLRs in late 2011 with a 5D Mark III. And we could see new hybrid cams (video bodies with big, DvSLR sensors) at any time. I can't wait to see what they come up with!

Since Canon is primarily a glass company, I would guess that their future strategy will include some new, video-friendly glass solutions. Electronic zoom for DvSLRs is a wide open opportunity.

Bryan Cantwell June 14th, 2010 11:14 AM

If you've got the budget, you could always mod your 7D to take PL mount lenses like Philip Bloom shows here: Modified 7D-PL mount camera | Philip Bloom

Paul R Johnson June 14th, 2010 11:37 AM

Somewhere I've still got my BBC book - The Technique of the Television Cameraman, by Gerald Millerson. I learned a great deal from this book - and it dealt with black & white studio cameras, with 4 prime lenses up front. It did mention that Zoom lenses were becoming available, but (from memory) it detailed the ratio available was limited, 4:1 being typical, making it useful for outside broadcasts, but not studio work. Plenty of chapter space was devoted to tracking, crabbing and vertical height adjustments in shot. Moving a camera into or out of a scene always looks better to me anyway. a 100:1 OB box lens wasn't even dreamed about - and what are we looking back over - just over 40 years.

Bruce Foreman June 18th, 2010 11:23 AM

If I have the camera stabilized properly (or on a solid tripod) I can manually do a smooth zoom with the EF 17-40mm f4L USM lens.