Am I missing anything? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:44 PM   #1
New Boot

Am I missing anything?

Okay well I've ordered everything that I think I'll need, there are one or two things that I wish I could have afforded (such as a battery grip), but I'm practically out of money and am now waiting for the postman to arrive.

I purchased:

- Canon 550D with 18-55mm kit lens.
- Canon 50mm f1.8 prime.
- Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x
- 2 x Transcend 16GB class 6 SD cards..
- Pearstone Clapboard with marker pens.
- 2 x Canon LP-E8 batteries.
- Zoom H4n Recorder.
- Audio Technica AT875 Shotgun Mic.
- K-Tek KE-89 Aluminium Boompole.
- Audio Technica AT8415 Shock Mount.
- Pearstone 4P-SSS 4-point mic suspenders.
- 15' XLR Cable.
- Audio Technica ATH-M30 Headphones.
- Manfrotto 190 XB Tripod Legs.
- Manfrotto 700RC2 Fluid Head.
- EW60 Lens Hood.
- ES62 Lens Hood.
- Tiffen 52mm clear glass filter.
- Tiffen 58mm clear glass filter.

Am I missing anything important?

Last edited by Andrew Hardman; June 22nd, 2010 at 09:36 PM.
Andrew Hardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:06 PM   #2
New Boot

Andrew, you didn't mention filters. Beside the ubiquitous UV (clear lens cap) filter I'd recommend a circular polarizer and at least one ND filter. Also something to help out with the color balance, maybe an 18% card. What are you going to use to edit the files?
Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Ok, IMHO:
return the canon batteries and buy 10 aftermarket batteries for the same price. Return the class 6 cards for class 10 cards. Return the Canon 1.8 and buy the 1.4. With the awesome depth of field that you'll get from the 1.4 you're going to want to pick up a decent follow focus. With your new follow focus your going to need a DSLR Rig. With all your new gear, your going to want to get a nice case to tote it in. Even though the Zacuto is awesome you're going to want to get an external monitor. I'd also go to garage sales to find used golf club cases for your tripod. That should keep you going for a while. :)
Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:20 PM   #4
New Boot

True, I forgot to mention the two Tiffen clear lens filters (52mm+58mm), however I haven't considered any of the other items you mentioned. I planned to ask someone about them but must have forgotten, could you reccomend any of each?

Also, I have a copy of Vegas Pro which I intend to use, however I can get my hands on a copy of CS5 if need be.

Regards,
Andrew
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hardman View Post
Okay well I've ordered everything that ***I think I'll need,***
(snip)
Am I missing anything important?
Need for what? What specifically do you intend to do with all this gear?
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:47 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The clapboard tells me he is going to make narrative films....or some other type of project requiring multiple takes.

If you are shooting outdoors, you will need ND filters or a variable ND.

I think the the 50 mm F1.8 is medium tele or portrait. I probably would not have gotten it. Good for close ups, but you may want to consider a wider prime to. I have a Nikon 35 mm F2 and a Pentax 28mm F 2.8 that I get that coverage with on my T2i, and that double for semi wide and wide on the 5D. Don't be afraid of the older lenses from EBay to fill your needs. The modern auto focus lenses are fine, but most are slower unless you want to pay a fortune...Since you are budgeting. take advantage of very cheap and great vintage glass out there, and mount with cheap adapters.

For inexpensive follow focus, checkout DFocus. It is budget, but I find it works pretty nicely. D|Focus - The Affordable Follow Focus System
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:26 AM   #7
New Boot

Sorry, good point. I didn't mention what sort of filmmaking I'll be doing. Yes it's narrative filmmaking. Being a complete newby, are there specific lenses and ND filters which I might find useful? I would really appreciate links or at least specifics if possible.

Also, would an old Canon FD 28mm F2.8 be any good?

Thanks guys,

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew Hardman; June 23rd, 2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Here are some inexpensive items that will add a lot of bang to your setup:

1. Rycote softie windscreen, or Redhead for your H4n
2. Some vintage lenses, in the telephoto end. They can be quite inexpensive.
3. LCW Fader ND (I consider this an essential item)
4. Line to Mic level cable AND splitter (to record from H4n to T2i plus monitoring)
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:00 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hardman View Post
Also, would an old Canon FD 28mm F2.8 be any good?
Canon FD mounts are not recommended with EOS mounts as they require optical adapters which will affect image quality. Your best bets are any mounts with a flange-back greater than 44mm.
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:21 PM   #10
New Boot

Oh, true? Thanks for the heaps up. So are there any good WA lenses with decent low light performance in particular (as well as the Nikon and Sigma that you suggested) that I should look into? Also, if buying an old camera, how can I find the "flange-back" - or even better, what sorts of vintage mounts are preferable when being attached to an EF mount?

- Andrew
Old June 24th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #11
New Boot

I cancelled the 50mm 1.8, just as they were about to post it...so a bit of luck there. I'm looking very seriously at an "as new" vintage Sigma 28mm f2.8...this looks like a lovely lens that'll do the job. It's still not as fast as I would have hoped, but it's about as fast as I can afford.
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #12
New Boot

LCW Fader ND’s are just a couple of circular and linear polarizers stuck together.

Get an ND filter from B+W, or if you have money to burn (and only plan on using it with video) get a Singh-Ray.
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #13
Major Player

Don't forget that you can rent lenses, ND, monitors, etc. too. This is what the big boys do for narrative film. You don't have to buy everything.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #14
New Boot

I just ordered a Vivitar 28mm f2.5 (Kiron), in mint condition off eBay for AU$60 - I am confident that this lens will serve me well.
Andrew Hardman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD