Displaying recorded material on my TV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 25th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Displaying recorded material on my TV

I recently bought the 7D. When I connect it to my TV through the non-HD-cables, I can't seem to view the recorded material (1920x1080, 25P) as i would like to, that is: filling the screen, with no text or other stuff that is not the image proper.
Now, the best I get (by pressing the INFO button one or more times) is a vertically slightly compressed picture that leaves black at the top and bottom. Also, there is some time info above the picture.

Will this change when I buy a HDMI-cable that actually fits into the camera? That is, is this just an issue when viewing material in SD on a TV?

Many people, like me, are presumably using a TV during shooting indoors to set the focus correctly and so on. So why doesn't it look like I want?

Grateful for any help here.
Nikolaj Marquez von Hage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 03:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

OK, I'll try again. How do you guys do to monitor during shooting? Is it possible to get full-screen picture from the 7D on a flat-screen full-HD TV-display?

Or is my question simply too stupid to be worthy of an answer? :)
Old June 26th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #3
Major Player

I monitor on a 7 inch Swit HD monitor using the HDMI out. You can get rid of most of the info on the output except for the red record dot. It's good enough for focus and framing, but that's about all.
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

And you don't get a vertically compressed picture with black space above and below the image?
Old June 26th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Major Player

I get correct aspect ratio, but with look around, which I zoom so it is as near full frame as possible .
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Best thing for under $100.00 is the MediaGate MG-M2TVD. It plays almost any video format including footage right off the Canon 5d & 7d Blows my mind Its the best money I've ever spent.
Walmart.com: MediaGate MG-M2TVD 1080p HDMI 1.3 MediaPlayer with DTS Support RMVB (Wireless N Optional): Computers
Martin Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD