DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   generic battery grip from Ebay (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/480998-generic-battery-grip-ebay.html)

Slavomir Valko June 27th, 2010 07:53 AM

generic battery grip from Ebay

Has anybody ever used these battery grips?

Nino Leitner June 27th, 2010 01:28 PM

Hi Slavomir,

I've just posted a new blog post reviewing a my new knock-off T2i/550D battery grip. I'm very happy with it, check it out:
T2i / 550D knock-off battery grip review | Nino Film - Blog - Nino Leitner

Your comments are always greatly appreciated!

Slavomir Valko June 27th, 2010 02:29 PM

thanks Nino, I just finished reading your review - good staff.

Ed Kishel June 28th, 2010 10:03 AM

after watching this review:
550D / T2i Battery Grip – OEM vs. Aftermarket CheesyCam

I bought one. Shipping took two weeks, but it was worth the wait. Works great, and $100 less than Canons.

Drew Curran July 6th, 2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slavomir Valko (Post 1542837)
Has anybody ever used these battery grips?

I also bought one off eBay. No problems so far.
Drew

Terry Lee July 6th, 2010 10:30 AM

I have a cuple power2000 knock-off batteries I bought off Amazon for 10 a piece. The problem I have is that they only last about an hour and a half but I am shooting video the entire time only stopping the recording periodically... Anything I might be able to do to enhance the battery life?

Craig Irving July 6th, 2010 11:37 AM

I wanted to get the exact same one that Nino suggested (his endorsement made me feel extremely comfortable) however I was unable to get his Amazon suggestion link to work because they would not ship to Canada.

Are the eBay knockoffs the same one, or are they equally reliable? Am I allowed to point a link to the eBay auction I'm ready to purchase from? I wish I knew.

James Donnelly July 6th, 2010 03:32 PM

No, they are not all the same. .

There is a company called Meike who have been making grips for a while now for a range of cameras. They are pretty good, and come close to the real thing.

If you don't go for Meike, avoid grips which don't support AA (some don't). I would also be suspicious of ones that come with 'free' extras, like batteries (probably well below rated capacity, nearly all 3rd party ones are) and remotes (probably don't trigger video). In my experience, these are often low quality gimmicks to help sell a sub-standard product.

Of course, you may get a cheap one with free extras that turns out great.

George Strother July 6th, 2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Donnelly (Post 1545831)
No, they are not all the same. .

There is a company called Meike who have been making grips for a while now for a range of cameras. They are pretty good, and come close to the real thing.

If you don't go for Meike, avoid grips which don't support AA (some don't). I would also be suspicious of ones that come with 'free' extras, like batteries (probably well below rated capacity, nearly all 3rd party ones are) and remotes (probably don't trigger video).

I have the Mieke grip with "free" batteries and a "free" remote. The Mieke fit is very solid, wobble free and it works perfectly. Some real Canon grips I have owned were real wobblers. The "free" batteries match the canon batteries, charge on the Canon charger and have equal run time. I now have six clone batteries plus the original. The "free" remote is a clone of the Canon remote and works just as well. Like the Canon, it will not trigger video.

Aaron Dunlap July 9th, 2010 09:46 AM

Terry, what is the mAh rating on the batteries you got? The standard that comes with the T2i is 1120mAh, and I just bought a 1500mAh Power2000 battery, so technically it should last longer (thought I haven't had a chance yet to run it through the ringer).

On a separate note, I've been looking out for a T2i version of the 3rd party battery grip with the intervalometer built in. Has anyone spotted these anywhere? (would be nice to get in on them before Nino and other draw too much attention to them and the prices go up! :-P).

Terry Lee July 11th, 2010 08:39 PM

Hey Aaron, I got the same ones. They all kinda last the same amount of time. I have 2 Power2000 1500mAh and the stock Canon 1120mAh. Though I am always doing different things each day so I cant really get a good idea of how long they last but for what I have been doing, which is traveling around Brazil making a documentary, its about an hour per battery.

Christian Brown June 20th, 2011 10:58 PM

Re: generic battery grip from Ebay

Just spotted this review: Canon 60d Aftermarket Battery Grip (update) - Perception

Nigel Barker June 21st, 2011 03:05 AM

Re: generic battery grip from Ebay

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Dunlap (Post 1546812)
On a separate note, I've been looking out for a T2i version of the 3rd party battery grip with the intervalometer built in. Has anyone spotted these anywhere? (would be nice to get in on them before Nino and other draw too much attention to them and the prices go up! :-P).

I just bought a very nice one for my T3i/600D from Amazon made by Polaroid no less. It feels great when attached as it gives a bit more bulk to the camera (I am used to using a 5DII) all works nicely & has a remote control plus intervalometer. It's nice to have the facility to take a time lapse whenever I want rather than as happened the other day I couldn't find the plug in intervalometer for my 5DII. The labelling on the package actually say T2i/550D but as the T3i/600D is the updated version & the two cameras are 90% the same so it's unsurprising that the same accessories fit.

Just £71.99 in the UK or $89.99 in the US