Pre Color Settings & other questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Pre Color Settings & other questions

Hey, Have not been on these forums for a while. Used to own the HD100 JVC with a mini35. Sold it and took a break, but now with the SLR cameras out I am thinking of getting the 7D and starting shooting again.

Couple of questions.

Most of questions were answered so here are some new ones.

1. Can you connect to a mac laptop and get live image from the canon? Maybe wanna use for monitoring purposes but also to get time lapse shots.

2. Do all the new canons shoot 60P?

3. Can you connect a large HDMI monitor?

Thanks guys...

Last edited by Brian Duke; July 3rd, 2010 at 05:31 PM.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Brian,

There's a little tweaking you can do in camera, but nothing like as useable or as comprehensive as scene files on the JVC. Usually best to keep it all dialed down in camera and grade later.

Yes, you can shoot 24p and 60p, though 60p is only in 720p, not 1080p.

You can record 12 minutes of full HD, 29 minutes 59 seconds in SD.

There are lots of options for follow focus. I use Redrock, others like Zacuto. There are cine lenses available though most people use regular stills glass. You can get it declicked and rehoused if you need to but again most people just use a simple focus gear.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Cheers mate.

Im just really looking to spend about $5K for camera, focus system and maybe a Steadicam Jr. There are so many deals on eBay with lens kits its ridiculous. Seen the 5D for $2200 with 7 lenses.

I like setting as much as I can in-camera, because it saves time in post, but also it will require less compression later and I just like the way it looks. =)

Now, its a matter of choosing.

So I assume all the Canons shoot 60p? 5D, 500D, 7D?

yeah, Redrock looks good and reasonable. My last follow focuc was about $2K. =( DOH!
Old July 4th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The 5d mk2 does not shoot in 60p
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The Canon software that comes with the 7D allows you to hook up to a laptop with the supplied USB cord.

While filming you cannot get a Hi Def picture on an external monitor using HDMI, but on the 7D you do get a properly formatted scene, whereas the 5D2 only gives a 4:3 picture on an external monitor.

Explore the picture scenes presets on the 7D you can dial in the different options in live view and see the difference it makes, I use "faithful" and "Standard"

Canon 5D2 better for lowlight high iso settings, no 60p. 7D good for 60p max iso 1600 if you are lucky and if you feel lucky the T2i might do for you, but it misses out on the iso settings of 160 multiples, that seem a lot less noisy and it does not have the dual processing power.
Old July 5th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Pogson View Post
The Canon software that comes with the 7D allows you to hook up to a laptop with the supplied USB cord.

While filming you cannot get a Hi Def picture on an external monitor using HDMI, but on the 7D you do get a properly formatted scene, whereas the 5D2 only gives a 4:3 picture on an external monitor.

Explore the picture scenes presets on the 7D you can dial in the different options in live view and see the difference it makes, I use "faithful" and "Standard"

Canon 5D2 better for lowlight high iso settings, no 60p. 7D good for 60p max iso 1600 if you are lucky and if you feel lucky the T2i might do for you, but it misses out on the iso settings of 160 multiples, that seem a lot less noisy and it does not have the dual processing power.
I will be doing strictly film/live action stuff. Thus I need it for that purpose. Would you suggest the T2i for that purpose? I really like having the 60fps capability and also being able to connect to laptop/monitor because I have shot too much thinking it looked in focus to find out later it got soft on a big screen.

Does the T2i have heating issues?
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Major Player

My T2i seems to overheat more than my 7D.

I love my T2i but I'd rather have one 7D over two T2is. If you can afford it, get the 7D.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
My T2i seems to overheat more than my 7D.

I love my T2i but I'd rather have one 7D over two T2is. If you can afford it, get the 7D.
The difference in price between the two is not an issue for me. The issue os which has least amount of problems and is over all better shooting film/live action shorts and features.
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #9
Major Player

I don't shoot sports, so I can't speak to that. But the 7D is the superior camera. I'd imagine with something like sports you'd be adjusting settings quite often. The 7D has much better controls than the T2i. It seems almost everything has a custom button on the 7D. On the T2i you've got to navigate more menus and press one button while turning a dial to adjust aperture, things like that.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #10
Major Player

Sounds like the 7D is the one I should go with.
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #11
New Boot

Check out lightillusion.com for custom gamma setting. Steve Shaw has done a very good job to flatten the image for DI and it can be used with 5D and 7D. He is into heavy duty DI LUT stuff. I've been using them for last little while and the results are fantastic once you run it through Color.

Also Rarevision 5DtoRGB looks promising in that it really squeezes a lot of info out of H264 codec. last thing you may be interested in is Magic Bullet Grinder for getting fast and clean ProRes422 out of Canon files.
Chris Beeger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD