Help with budget setup - Nightclub Filming at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 6th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #1
Tourist

Help with budget setup - Nightclub Filming

First of all, thank you all for the amazing resources on this board.

I am a traveling DJ and I am looking to do high quality video work for promotion, etc. I recently performed in Taipei and the cameraman there was using a 5D with a larger lens and a home made LED lighting rig. There was no stabilization as far as I could tell. This is the finished product:
(please excuse editing, was my first attempt at cobbling something together)

I am now assembling my own budget set up with the aim to film in a variety of clubs and lighting all around the world. I have purchased the following to date:

T2i body
Sigma 30mm 1.8
Protective lens filter

I am hopeful to get by in low light situations without the need for additional lighting but I appreciate any thoughts on lighting solutions. I believe that I it is critical that I add some stabilization and have considered the Hague Mini Motion Camera stabilizer as a viable solution. Are there other better options out there?

What else am I missing (aside from the obvious batteries and cards)?

I intend to add a nice flash and an R strap for doing stills but want to concentrate on video.

All advice, leads and comments sincerely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

db
David Benett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #2
Major Player

The problem with balance stabilisation systems like the one you listed is that you can't touch the camera during shot, for instance to follow focus.

For that reason, if I had to buy one rig to begin with, it would be a shoulder mount. If it is counter balanced, your results should be good enough.

This also means you can attach your lighting gear to the rig, and also shoot for longer periods without fatigue.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Major Player

James brings up a good point. You have to be able to focus your shots and with that stabilizer you cant touch the camera or you'll knock the shot all wobbly...I've been hand holding all my shots but with great muscle control..I shot in a night club for an hour straight just holding the camera..the shots came out still but if I had something to brace (like a sholder mount) everything would have been alot smoother. Probably a 1 handle stabilizer would best suit your needs because you can hold the cam with one hand and pull focus with the other..
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #4
Tourist

Thank you for your replies.
I thought of this actually overnight. The counterbalance mount seems like it might not work for my application for the reasons stated in your replies. Can you suggest an appropriate stabilization tool/shoulder rig? I have been reading blogs like Cheesycam, etc. but do not know what is a viable cost effective solution for my application.

Do you think that I will need lighting as well or will the Sigma 30mm 1.8 be ok in low light settings comparable with the clip in the original post?

Thanks again.

db
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #5
Major Player

i don't have any personal experience with the t2i ,but i think if you could get a lens with an f stop of 1.4 you would have way better results ,even with a light
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Tourist

I realized I mistyped in the first post.
The Sigma 30mm is an F 1.4.

Thoughts on stabilization?

Thanks

db
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:40 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The best stabilisation tool is a tripod. Given the limited space in the situations where you will be shooting a monopod would be a great alternative. I can personally recommend a http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618351-REG/Manfrotto_561BHDV_561BHDV_Video_Monopod_with.html
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD