DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Tripod for 7D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/481493-tripod-7d.html)

Brian Duke July 6th, 2010 10:54 PM

Tripod for 7D

Anyone can recommend a nice fluid inexpensive tripod for the 7D?

Andy Wilkinson July 7th, 2010 01:12 AM

My Libec TH650 works well.

Nik Kuo July 7th, 2010 01:45 AM

I use a Manfrotto 701HDV fluid head with my 7D. The camera's light enough that the head still works very smoothly.

I think it runs about $120 for the head. I'd imagine you can use cheap legs.

Brian Duke July 7th, 2010 01:57 AM

Is that a fluid head? Or you find it smooth for tilting, panning?

Gabor Heeres July 7th, 2010 04:52 PM

I have a good experience with the Manfrotto 701 RC2 head. A compact fluid head that is also very usable for still photograpy.

tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 701RC2 - COMPOSITE VIDEO HEAD PRO

Nik Kuo July 8th, 2010 11:29 AM

The 701hdv is very smooth, for both panning and tilting.

In my experience, it's been great with my light cameras, first a Canon HF100, then the 7D. I don't imagine I'd want to use anything heavier than a 7D though.

My problem is the legs that I'm using it with, the 055XB. The legs can be slightly shaky at times. Maybe because they don't have a spreader? I don't know, these are the most expensive legs/head I've owned. But I'm just a hobbyist. :)

Bill Pryor July 10th, 2010 09:05 AM

I have a Libec 38 and it's a pretty nice head for the money. Smooth and no bounceback.

Chris Beeger July 11th, 2010 11:25 PM

Hi Brian

First big thanks for introducing JVC hd cams to me with your movie "Twist of Fate". Great work! I use Libec H55 head with T72 legs. It works great with small D7 or D5 package. I originally bought it for JVC GY200 but found the head to light for loaded jvc but for dslrs it's rock solid. I also mount my old O'connor 50 on the legs and even with 75mm bowl the head is well balanced and sturdy. The legs themselves are worth the money I spent for whole kit at B&H.

Brian Duke July 12th, 2010 12:11 AM

Wow, you remember Twist of fate.....

Thanks for all your insight and tips. I am probably going to get all my gear over the next 2 weeks, so I am making all my decisions now.

I used to own an O'Conner D50, but I sold all my stuff, because I thought the technology had been way updated and much cheaper and wanted to sell before it completely became obsolete. I was right, as the new SLR cameras are simply too cheap and amazing to compete with some of the more expensive pro cameras, like the REd, JVC, Canon bigger cams.. etc.

It is just amazing to me how far video has come in the last 5 years.

Chuck Spaulding July 14th, 2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabor Heeres (Post 1546257)
I have a good experience with the Manfrotto 701 RC2 head. A compact fluid head that is also very usable for still photograpy.

tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 701RC2 - COMPOSITE VIDEO HEAD PRO

I believe that this model was discontinued and replaced with the 701HDV.

I use the 701HDV on a Monopod, which works great and the larger 501HD on a tripod. I think the 501 is too big for the 7D/5D and prefer the feel of the 701HDV.