Fastest, Widest, Best Lens for 7D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Fastest, Widest, Best Lens for 7D?

I recently shot with the 50mm 1.4 Canon lens on my 7D. I couldn't believe the quality in such low light. Now I want one, but the 50mm wasn't wide enough to get those shots of people dancing at weddings. I had to be too far back.

What do you use and have you tried these lens'. The Sigma 30mm and Canon 24mm look good as well as some of the Zeiss. Anything you people recommend that is even wider or better then those two above. I will spend the extra $ if it's well worth it over the Sigma.

Also, Nikon is an option too, but I know nothing about them.

Some options I'm considering.

Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Major Player

The Tokina 11-16mm is very good @ f2.8. If you are shooting video, you can also get an old SMC Takumar 35mm f2.0 that is close to "natural" for the 7D's sensor size and has a wonderful build and focus quality (requires M42 to EOS adapter and total package $50 -100). It's a little soft at f2.0, but most lenses sharpen a bit with 2 clicks.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #3
Major Player

If you have the doe then get the 24mm 1.4, that is the fastest and widest, next one is the sigma 30mm 1.4, I have that one and it is my go to lens at the reception, once you use F1.4 or at the reception, F2.8 lens stay in the bag.
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Major Player

The Tokina 11 - 16 f2.8 is the widest, not the fastest, but is one really FANTASTIC lens!!!!
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Agreed re. the Tokina
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #6
Major Player

Kelly, I know you were asking about wide lenses, but I've fallen in love with the older SMC Takumar lenses for video. If you can pick up an excellent copy of the SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 on ebay for around $100 you will be amazed at the quality and smooth focus (although very long pull). Simply superb if you can find a non-yellowed version or are willing to UV it in your window for a few weeks to remove yellowing. They require a a M42:EOS adapter. This lens is commonly credited among the best Bokeh for any lens for any price. I've attached 2 pics of my daughter with this lens to show and extreme range of Bokeh, although not great pictures otherwise. I use this lens for "film" video work and stick to AF lenses for most photographs and run and gun video.

As far as my "stay on the camera lens" for the 7D and T2i, I use the Tamron VC f2.8 which works very, very well. It spans from very wide to 50 and I've gotten some incredible images in low light. If I need to go wider, which is very seldom, I throw on the Tokina 11-16 and funnel the whole world in. The only downsides on the Tamron is that in extreme contrast situations, say bright noon with white on dark, the CA is visible and the manual focus is a little grabby. Other than that, the lens is bright with great colors and the OIS is fantastic. There is a raging debate on whether this or the Canon 17-55 is better and the judging seems to be split. If I had more money than I knew what to do with I'd go with the Canon ($1,100) but given i don't, I'm very satisfied with my two Tamrons ($579 with current rebate at B&H) and they are arguably equivalent optically.
Attached Thumbnails
Fastest, Widest, Best Lens for 7D?-smc-takumar-50mm-f1.4-showing-extreme-bokeh.jpg   Fastest, Widest, Best Lens for 7D?-smc-takumar-50mm-f1.4-high-contrast-mild-bokeh.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Shealy; July 10th, 2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #7
New Boot

We shoot with the Sigma 20mm f1.8 alot. Nice and wide,b ut also pretty fast for inside low-light stuff.

20mm F1.8 EX DG ASP RF - Wide Angle Prime Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
Ryan Hargrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Contributor

Fastest, widest, best lens might be the Canon 14mm L. But for a little bit more than it costs, you could buy a 5DMKII, and then a 24mm would be wide. I've read very nice things about that Tokina 11-16 but have never seen one in the flesh. Still photos I've seen from it look good. The problem I have with Tokina and Tamron zooms is the ultra short focus throw. The only ones I've used are the Tokina 16-50 and the Tamron 28-75 and Tamron 17-35. The Tokina felt the best of the three but both Tamrons were sharper.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #9
Major Player

Bill,

The short throw is a blessing and a curse. For "premeditated work" I prefer a longer throw. When I'm out and about, being able to cradle the camera and focus without changing finger positions stop-to-stop is a nice feature. The Tokina is reasonably smooth, the Tamron is a little sticky and can be frustrating when the focus ring grabs. That one issue keeps me from giving the Tamron 5 stars. I have to stop at 4.9!

One of the features I love on the Tokina 11-16 lens is the push-pull ring for auto an manual focus. Very convenient and fast.
Old July 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #10
Major Player

Kelly,

Here's a great site for comparing lenses:

Lens Reviews - SLRgear.com!
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #11
New Boot

It's not very fast compared to the primes listed, but I just picked up the new sigma 17-50 OS and it is pretty dang good for not too much money. Constant 2.8, and decently heavy for enhancing the image stabilization when hand holding.
Tyler Coscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #12
Inner Circle

The fastest, widest, best lens for the 7D...

It's the one attached to your 5D Mark II.

;)

Similarly, the fastest, longest best lens for your 5D2 is attached to your 7D - if not your 2/3 or 1/3" sensor camera.

;) ;) ;)

Seriously, when the 2/3" Scarlet Interchangeable appears, it would make an amazing wildlife camera given a 35mm mount/adapter.
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:32 AM   #13
Major Player

Jon makes a fair point.

I often shoot with a 5D2 and a 7D. Wides on the 5D2, telephoto on the 7D. That allows me to move fast and get the best out of both cameras.

Best super-wide for the 7D is the Tokina 11-16mm which at f/2.8 is plenty fast enough for most uses.

Best wide for the 7D, probably Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 L - I'd get both:)
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #14
New Boot

The 24 1.4L is a great lens with stunning image quality and a very good "feel." on manual focus. On the 7D it's been my mainstay as I really like the slightly wider than normal field. That said, I just sold mine and put the funds into Nikon lenses. They take wonderful images and most of them are available as fast as the Canons with the sad exception of the Nikon 24mm (F2). Still, I wanted a consistent look and focus feel (and direction to inf.) for my primes so I made that painful choice.
Evan Estern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks for all the tips and Roger for the link.

I will def be getting the Tokina Nikon model with an adapter.

and it looks like it's going to be the Canon 24mm 1.4

1.4 is very much needed when doing dark weddings! It saved my butt.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD